On a Mission...

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! So as some of you know, I'm based in Bangkok currently although I'm originally from America (been here 4 years and reefkeeping here for between 2-3). Given the much lower prices on a lot of livestock from fish to corals to inverts I'm on a mission to take advantage of this opportunity i have to buy these fish and inverts at prices I'd never be able to afford if/when I come back to the States. For example, i was told last night a small Christmas Tree Worm rock like in the picture below goes for at least $150 when available while here this piece is priced at about $45. It's about 4-5 inches wide i was told by the shop which I assume is considered small. Fish are priced much cheaper as well i assume due to the proximity of the source to me (ask me the price of a fish and I'll tell you what they're charging if you're curious). I'll be asking here for advice because although I want to collect as many "less common" fish/coral/inverts i can at low prices while i have this amazing opportunity, i also want to make sure I can provide what they need to thrive in the tank. I just don't want to squander this opportunity to keep livestock that would otherwise be out of financial reach for me.
Here's a different Christmas Tree Worm rock i found earlier (posted last night about one piece going for $75 but this one is even more interesting and going for $45.
Screenshot_2022-11-19-12-56-26-760_com.facebook.katana.jpg

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The Christmas tree worms grow on porites coral. You can google for light requirements etc. the worms are filter feeders so need to be fed. Either by feeding your fish frozen mysis, brine etc. maybe even smaller things like calanus. You can also target feed.

I feed Aquavitro fuel to my reef tanks. It is carbohydrate, vitamin, fatty and amino acid supplement, there are other brands as well.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Christmas tree worms grow on porites coral. You can google for light requirements etc. the worms are filter feeders so need to be fed. Either by feeding your fish frozen mysis, brine etc. maybe even smaller things like calanus. You can also target feed.

I feed Aquavitro fuel to my reef tanks. It is carbohydrate, vitamin, fatty and amino acid supplement, there are other brands as well.
I'll go the target feeding route with frozen copepods...plus i also dose amino acids

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i can mark Christmas Tree Worms off my list! Got it delivered tonight! Turns out to be a different but same sized piece. The owner apparently didn't see my message that i wanted to get the other piece and sold it but she made up for it by matching the price and paying half the delivery cost...this is the piece I ended up getting...very pleased with it! It fits in the empty corner of my 10 gallon coral/invert nano perfectly!
Screenshot_2022-11-22-13-44-15-263_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! So as some of you know, I'm based in Bangkok currently although I'm originally from America (been here 4 years and reefkeeping here for between 2-3). Given the much lower prices on a lot of livestock from fish to corals to inverts I'm on a mission to take advantage of this opportunity i have to buy these fish and inverts at prices I'd never be able to afford if/when I come back to the States. For example, i was told last night a small Christmas Tree Worm rock like in the picture below goes for at least $150 when available while here this piece is priced at about $45. It's about 4-5 inches wide i was told by the shop which I assume is considered small. Fish are priced much cheaper as well i assume due to the proximity of the source to me (ask me the price of a fish and I'll tell you what they're charging if you're curious). I'll be asking here for advice because although I want to collect as many "less common" fish/coral/inverts i can at low prices while i have this amazing opportunity, i also want to make sure I can provide what they need to thrive in the tank. I just don't want to squander this opportunity to keep livestock that would otherwise be out of financial reach for me.
Here's a different Christmas Tree Worm rock i found earlier (posted last night about one piece going for $75 but this one is even more interesting and going for $45.
Screenshot_2022-11-19-12-56-26-760_com.facebook.katana.jpg
i have a kinda off topic question, is bangkok a nice place to live? i might live there for a couple months when im in college. im also planning on living in japan with my friend for 3 months. after my senior year in HS

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a kinda off topic question, is bangkok a nice place to live? i might live there for a couple months when im in college. im also planning on living in japan with my friend for 3 months. after my senior year in HS
It's really got its ups and downs just like anywhere else...it's likely a lot different than you imagine. You can DM me if you have any specific questions...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back