On vacation and my Apex saved the day!

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up to an alert from my Apex on day 6 of my 7-day vacation, that my tank was down to 73°. Not the end of the world, but before I left I had set the house thermostat to 62°. Apparently, the InkBird shut off or hiccuped around 2 AM. Before I sounded the alarm and called a family member to walk them through unplugging the InkBird and plugging the heaters in directly to other outlets, I turned off the outlet, waited 30 seconds, and turned it back on. All good for about 2 hours, then it happened again. I was able to recycle it again and it's been good ever since. I'll be monitoring it until I get home tomorrow afternoon. Only have had the Apex for 2.5 months, and the tank for 2.5 years, well worth the investment of a controller!!

The outlet did not fail as the only time I see that it was off, was the two times I manually turned it off. I am concerned about the InkBird, I've had it since September with no issues. Does anyone have any similar issues with one? Should I run the heaters only from the EB832?

Last edited:

GoingHammer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex actually has a feature where if you note the outlet of the heater you can sync it to the temperature probe and set a range to which the apex will turn the outlet off if outside the range.

OP
OP
aSaltyKlown

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex actually has a feature where if you note the outlet of the heater you can sync it to the temperature probe and set a range to which the apex will turn the outlet off if outside the range.
Yes, and I have that set up. This was a case where the Inkbird controller had some sort of malfunction and stopped working and both heaters turned off, the outlet of the EB832 had power the entire time until I turned it off to reboot the Inkbird.

GoingHammer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and I have that set up. This was a case where the Inkbird controller had some sort of malfunction and stopped working and both heaters turned off, the outlet of the EB832 had power the entire time until I turned it off to reboot the Inkbird.
That’s super weird I don’t have any experience with ink bird I run my heater off of the energy bar with a temp range! Was thinking about ink bird honestly. But it is super cool to be able to monitor your system when you are away!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 8.9%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.9%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back