One 7 in vs two 4 in filter socks?

BigWillStyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I am in the market for a sump for my fiji 76 shallow I just bought. I was going to go with my default brand of eshopps and their AF-200 but then the Fiji 30 option looked interesting with the integrated mounts. The main difference is the fiji uses 2 x 4 in socks while the eshopps uses a 7 in. I run both but I am genuinely curious if anyone has done any studies or comparisons on which is better. Does the slight increase in surface area actually justify all the extra work of swapping/washing two? Is the flow better on the single 7 that allows for less maintenance without the phosphates rising?

I run my 40 off a single 4 in, 50 on a single 4 in, 120 on two 4 in and a 150 on one 7 in. Interested in what y'all thinks is best.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since fish poop is an important part of the carbonate cycle on reefs I'd suggest not using any mechanical filtration and just occasionally, > yearly, siphoning out most, but not all the detritus that accumulates in the sump.

OP
OP
BigWillStyle

BigWillStyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well that would lend itself to the FIJI. One thought on that, a very active fuge would be required without any mechanical filtration. Of the two sumps the AF-200 has a much larger sump volume, especially when you consider it stays filled and is not dependent on skimmer depth

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back