One acro growing well but green slimer 4 inches away isnt?

xxoczukxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Green slimer known to be fast growers?

I have a pc-rainbow thats growing at a visible rate while my slimers sort of just exist. They all have great polyp extension, including the axial corallites at night. The slimer had an issue where I think the base was shaded and it started receding, but it has since stopped. The pc rainbow started out with only a bit encrusted on the base and now its almost covering the whole plug and sprouting new branches.

They were bought at the same time as well. I keep them under an xr15 g5 pro,

alk 8.9
calc 425
mag 1320

Please ignore the remnants of my algae war in the pics, I was dealing with a bit of hair algae but its cleared up for the most part now.

The birds nest and stylo have been consistently growing but are easier so I didnt really mention anything about them.

119989502_357379542282983_3566451414805880947_n.jpg

120156916_769803283814405_3291909210349694019_n.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are like people. They are all different and often like certain environments better than others. I have an sps coral that is an encrusting sps and it has barely doubled in the 6 years I've had it. Yet other sps and lps corals grow much faster.

One other point, bigger corals grow faster than small ones. It's not that the growth rate is different, but the amount of tissue that is growing. The bigger coral has more of a growing edge or tips than a smaller coral.

OP
OP
X

xxoczukxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are like people. They are all different and often like certain environments better than others. I have an sps coral that is an encrusting sps and it has barely doubled in the 6 years I've had it. Yet other sps and lps corals grow much faster.

One other point, bigger corals grow faster than small ones. It's not that the growth rate is different, but the amount of tissue that is growing. The bigger coral has more of a growing edge or tips than a smaller coral.

That makes sense. I was always told green slimers were easy so I had assumed the growth would be relatively quick, but the pc rainbow has visible weekly growth while the slimer isnt too noticeable. Ill give it more time as patience IS key in this hobby!

Gordonm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My slimer hasn't done much in the 7 months or so either. Little taller but not encrusting. See where its beginning to turn out from the plug but not encrusting it. Had high hopes it would just take off but not this one.

OP
OP
X

xxoczukxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My slimer hasn't done much in the 7 months or so either. Little taller but not encrusting. See where its beginning to turn out from the plug but not encrusting it. Had high hopes it would just take off but not this one.

Im very happy with my pc rainbow its got even more growth than in the pics in this post. Seems to be doing excellently

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it seems otherwise stable and happy Id snip off the top 1/8 in or so, it can help "wake up" acropora that have stalled in growth.
Best of luck!

Screenshot_20201027-182104_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
X

xxoczukxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought id update, the pc rainbow is growing insanely fast and the green slimers now show quick growth and are encrusting their plug as well!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back