Green slimer dieing. AGAIN

topdogreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the second time this has happened to green slider coral in my tank. I haven't lost any other corals. Aside from tiny bits of my red montipora that I believe my tailspot blenny hurt

It seems to die back slowly from one end to the other. Last time it started at the tip and died back towards the base ultimately only a piece the side of my thumbnail survived. This time it's dieing from the base up. Thoughts?

Parameters
SG 1.026
Cal 370
Alk 8.5
Mag 1320
Nitrate undetectable
Phos. I don't have a test for this

17063704036049211639265535556841.jpg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are low, that could be the cause. Any major parameter swings lately?

Either way what's happening is STN/RTN, frag the coral about 1cm above the die-off and it may be fine.

Beautiful tank by the way!

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had a look for pests? How is the polyp extension? You consider doing an ICP test? Do you run carbon? Leathers and some other softies excrete toxins that decrease SPS growth and can upset SPS.

I haven't ever had this done, but I feel like these answers might help others answer. I've heard of fragging about 1in up from where the stn is happening to save the coral. It is mostly believed to be an infection that causes it. The coral's immune system is compromised by something, though.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the other acros seem fine, and for a green slimer to be the only to do this... Where are you getting the slimers and how are you acclimating them? anything from the time you pick them up/receive them from the time you glue into your tank that would cause stress? I would think the green slimer should be the most resilient acro in that tank. And since the other acros are fine, probably not a parameter thing.

Also what's the time frame from getting the slimer to this die off?

OP
OP
T

topdogreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had it a few months it had none of the growth at the top when I got it. Same deal last time. I don't really do much for coral acclimation I pull them out of the bag and pop them in. I was really worried it may be some snail or something eating it. (I haven't seen anything on it)

I got both slimers from the same reef shop but it's by far the nicest one in my area. They barely even sell fish. it's a coral shop I'd think if they had pests that are coming with the corals they would notice.

I do run carbon. It's definetly old at this point I've been considering getting rid of the carbon alltogether

I will frag the coral today, thanks for the advise

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had it a few months it had none of the growth at the top when I got it. Same deal last time. I don't really do much for coral acclimation I pull them out of the bag and pop them in. I was really worried it may be some snail or something eating it. (I haven't seen anything on it)

I got both slimers from the same reef shop but it's by far the nicest one in my area. They barely even sell fish. it's a coral shop I'd think if they had pests that are coming with the corals they would notice.

I do run carbon. It's definetly old at this point I've been considering getting rid of the carbon alltogether

I will frag the coral today, thanks for the advise
In case it is a pest/infection, give both parts a dip in either iodine for possible infections or in some other dip to check for pests. Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back