One month in first algae question

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 15 snails (Astria and Turbo) 8 blue legged and 3 red legged hermit crabs
(1) White Tail Bristle tooth Tang
(1) Lawnmower Blenny
(1) Canary Wrasse
Do you think I need to up my clean up crew get some more snails?
I would. I am aiming for at least 2 snails per gallon

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice UV that one should help for sure. amazon owes me two free uv's (by my tally lol) for steering so much biz into bezos' pockets.

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will need a UV before the wrestling begins. fifty will disagree, coming up. you can't imagine how many tanks we've fixed in total invasion work threads with them.

the going rule is that if you have a tank so large a complete access/full water change isn't feasible, have the nucs already aimed.

this is very easy step to skip, for sure, not everyone will agree. This recommend comes straight from heavy work thread logs for invaded large tanks, what it took to fix either cyano or dinos or GHA< it cuts down on all of it.

pay well, have uv for large tanks.

have a uv plumbed in

switch it on when you get that jedi urge time. so many threads I have handy....reefers on the brink.

willing to leave the hobby

and then pentaire saves the day or if you dont have $900 spare, choose a $150 pond sterilizer off amazon, see the reviews. they're not bad reviews, they're good by and large.

thats how many reefs we fixed with cheap pond sterilizers off amazon. doesnt matter who disagrees, that's what the work threads show down in the swamps where reefs aren't working ideally.
I wouldn’t even stress about it. I would let the Dino do its thing and be an eye sore for a month and it will go away on its own, with regular maintenance.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 15 snails (Astria and Turbo) 8 blue legged and 3 red legged hermit crabs
(1) White Tail Bristle tooth Tang
(1) Lawnmower Blenny
(1) Canary Wrasse
Do you think I need to up my clean up crew get some more snails?
One of my favorites is Nassarius Snails. They don't last forever and can be sensitive to the food supply, so you can starve them out and you should expect to replace them periodically. But they are some hungry dudes!
I use Mexican Turbo snails in FO tanks with Puffers/predators etc. Again they don't last very long but they can stand up to puffers.

One thing I forgot to mention about UV, especially bigger UVs, however much wattage the lamp is rated for (18,36,40,55... watts) is heat that's dissipated directly into the water column. If you are already on the edge of overheating your water from pumps, powerheads etc., think carefully about how long you run the UV each day. I combat the problem by running UV primarily at night when my house is much cooler. Helps me avoid needing chillers.

OP
OP
Diveshaman

Diveshaman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would. I am aiming for at least 2 snails per gallon
I thought you would appreciate. I went to LFS to purchase 50 snails and he would only sell me 16 lol. Said he was concerned the snails would die and have no food lol I guess new lfs I am trying to give him money and he is concerned about the snails. I assured him they would be taken care of and I am trying to fight dinos and he said to give the 16 a chance and come back in few weeks to see if still need more. GRRRRRRRR I put the new snails in and have a new UV on order coming this way. Should be here by weeks end and install that day. I will keep you posted and appreciate your time on this

OP
OP
Diveshaman

Diveshaman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorites is Nassarius Snails. They don't last forever and can be sensitive to the food supply, so you can starve them out and you should expect to replace them periodically. But they are some hungry dudes!
I use Mexican Turbo snails in FO tanks with Puffers/predators etc. Again they don't last very long but they can stand up to puffers.

One thing I forgot to mention about UV, especially bigger UVs, however much wattage the lamp is rated for (18,36,40,55... watts) is heat that's dissipated directly into the water column. If you are already on the edge of overheating your water from pumps, powerheads etc., think carefully about how long you run the UV each day. I combat the problem by running UV primarily at night when my house is much cooler. Helps me avoid needing chillers.
Appreciated my friend thanks for heads up. I will keep close eye

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you would appreciate. I went to LFS to purchase 50 snails and he would only sell me 16 lol. Said he was concerned the snails would die and have no food lol I guess new lfs I am trying to give him money and he is concerned about the snails. I assured him they would be taken care of and I am trying to fight dinos and he said to give the 16 a chance and come back in few weeks to see if still need more. GRRRRRRRR I put the new snails in and have a new UV on order coming this way. Should be here by weeks end and install that day. I will keep you posted and appreciate your time on this
I had the same thing happen two weeks ago at a LFS. You should have seen the look on his face when I asked for 180. I got the same speech and a big headshake NO, until I reminded him... "I have four OTHER tanks that need snails too you know!

OP
OP
Diveshaman

Diveshaman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t even stress about it. I would let the Dino do its thing and be an eye sore for a month and it will go away on its own, with regular maintenance.
Thanks I trying not to stress LOL. Appreciate your input

OP
OP
Diveshaman

Diveshaman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice UV that one should help for sure. amazon owes me two free uv's (by my tally lol) for steering so much biz into bezos' pockets.
I owe you as well my friend. Thanks for taking the time to respond and offer your advice It is greatly appreciated. I will keep you updated on the progress. UV on order and will be here by weeks end. I will install same day and Wait to see results. Wanted your take on Purit and using that activated carbon on steroids to help? any input on Purit would be appreciated if you have used it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so sorry no experience there plus it must be kinda new there's not a lot of post history of it, maybe works well though there was one time Vibrant was new and when they posted its release I was first in the thread and typed out my skepticism.

but 30 mins about 25 responses said it helped their algae so i quickly edited the denial into a clarification question heh

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$59 plus shipping w/15% discount =$86 for 100 Astraea
1605132365545.jpeg

xrouter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome fellow return to reefer after many years out :D

Lots of stuff has changed for us old school like using live rock to avoid start-up issues.

Did you cure your rock and was it dry rock and what sand did you use? Because I would say with a new tank with uncured rock you are pretty much guaranteed to get a bloom of some sort no matter what you do due to silicates and you kind of have to accept it and just use good maintenance to move through it. Things like UV or getting your nutrients to zero will help but they will not stop it overnight in a new tank especially if your already into it you need to get it down to a point where its in balance with your CuC.

If you have algae on your sand then vacuum it, if you have it on your rock then scrub it. Monitor your levels every day, change your socks frequently, skim wet and eventually it will subside on its own if its not down to nutrients. UV is good, I run it but don't exspect it to magically cure algae in the tank that has established itself.

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I also am new into hobby with a 90gl, cycled and lights on for the last week. Starting to get diatoms on the sand. I just ordered the Jebao CW55 to have ready to go. Also...for a tank newly cycled .only 2 Clowns in it currently...no corals..when do I turn on the Skimmer, the Refugium and add CUC?

Any advice is appreciated...

OP
OP
Diveshaman

Diveshaman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the one!

FDFFE285-A567-4E08-95AF-69ECDE4CDBC8.jpeg
F276749E-94B9-462A-AD99-6E9E33127FC4.jpeg
Stunning tank my friend. Looks amazing! Have you read any of this about plastic leaching into tank? Have you had any issues and do you run yours 24/7 or just when you have blooms? Appreciate your time

OP
OP
Diveshaman

Diveshaman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome fellow return to reefer after many years out :D

Lots of stuff has changed for us old school like using live rock to avoid start-up issues.

Did you cure your rock and was it dry rock and what sand did you use? Because I would say with a new tank with uncured rock you are pretty much guaranteed to get a bloom of some sort no matter what you do due to silicates and you kind of have to accept it and just use good maintenance to move through it. Things like UV or getting your nutrients to zero will help but they will not stop it overnight in a new tank especially if your already into it you need to get it down to a point where its in balance with your CuC.

If you have algae on your sand then vacuum it, if you have it on your rock then scrub it. Monitor your levels every day, change your socks frequently, skim wet and eventually it will subside on its own if its not down to nutrients. UV is good, I run it but don't exspect it to magically cure algae in the tank that has established itself.
Much appreciated. I used the coralife fake rock and I think they call it pink fine sand. I know this always happen in initial stages but want to stay ahead of it and make sure I am doing everything I can So ready for future outbreaks. I appreciated your advice and time. I heard the same thing happens with the silica when you don’t flush new RODI filters for 30gals To remove silica on new RODI filter membranes. Today is the start of week 3 with this outbreak and this AM after daily 50% water changes first week then 50% every other day last week, now today for the first day it appears under control. No overnight madness for the first day. I beefed up the CUC and protein skimmer has been running wet keeping me on close. Thanks again for your time and advice. Much appreciated

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back