One or Two Returns? 40 gallon breeder

TerraCaelus

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 29, 2014
Messages
221
Reaction score
303
Location
Bay Area,California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my current display tank is now all scratched up from visitors while I was out of town, I am going to be doing a new display tank build.

It's going to be a 40 gallon breeder tank with a synergy overflow.

My question is: Is one or two returns better? Does it make a difference in such a small tank?

On my current setup I have one return and my wave maker on the opposite side. I don't have any dead spots in the tank as far as I can tell. But, since I'm about to do what will be my second tank build I want to improve and do better then my previous.
 
One quality return should be all you need.
Keep in mind watts = heat, and in that size tank you will want to keep that to a minimum.
Dual return will mean double the heat added.
Most do not rely on a return for flow in display, PH's should be used for that.
 
1 return you could v it off to two return nozzles if thats what your lookingfor. Btw synergy overflows are awesome =)
 
I would just do 1 return and then get a Y fitting to split the 1 return in the tank. That will give you a little more adjustment.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new