One year update, RedSea 625XL G2

FishyLips

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build thread update – one year later
I’ve added a RedSea ATO and I really like how it has limited refills and created more space in the sump. My local fish shop has been amazing for this build and I could not have done it without them.

I battled some algae which required some scrubbing of rocks. I am still getting algae on the sand, but mix up the sand to try to get the algae and fish poop into the water and hopefully down into the sump and through the ReefMat.

My nitrates/nitrites and ammonia are testing at 0, but Phosphates were .16 recently. I think that maybe I have too much filtering? The refugium is going well, but after water changes (every 7-10 days), I see some of the refugium plant getting pushed into the main tank. The algae eaters quickly devour what comes in.

I run a phosban reactor, carbon within the ReefMat, a RedSea Skimmer. Any recommendations on a comprehensive test kit for nitrates/nitrites/phosphates? I use a Hanna for phosphates and strips and Nyos for Nitrates/nitrites.

My corals are growing, but there was a hammer that touched the Rainbow Bubble Anemone and died soon thereafter. The Anemone split into four distinct pieces. I am ready to remove at least three. One of the clowns is hosting all of them. The other two clowns are nearby, but mostly trying to eliminate the third, hosting clown. Any thoughts?

I have a bristletooth tang that kills everything that looks like him, costing me significant money. I caught him, but when doing so, a rock scratched the front of my tank! I let him go and he went on to kill a few more fish and every time I see the scratch, I get angry at the rock, the fish and RedSea for not making the glass more scratch resistant, like a nice watch face. It’s all my fault though…. Any thoughts on removing/repairing scratches on glass?

I don’t mind the couple of hours a week necessary to keep the tank in shape, but I really do like to take some vacations once in a while. What are some methods to ensure the tank survives on its own for 10-14 days (or longer).

Thanks and good luck everyone!

ATO .jpg Front.jpeg reef dose and electrical bus.jpg Reef mat and return pump.jpg Rock .jpg Skimmer and Refugium.jpg Sump.jpg

OP
OP
F

FishyLips

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is brown algae, not hairy. If I see hair, usually around my green star polyps (GSP), I pull it out with my fingers. It's on my sand where the flow is lower because of the rocks. I could probably move my wave pumps.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build thread update – one year later
I’ve added a RedSea ATO and I really like how it has limited refills and created more space in the sump. My local fish shop has been amazing for this build and I could not have done it without them.

I battled some algae which required some scrubbing of rocks. I am still getting algae on the sand, but mix up the sand to try to get the algae and fish poop into the water and hopefully down into the sump and through the ReefMat.

My nitrates/nitrites and ammonia are testing at 0, but Phosphates were .16 recently. I think that maybe I have too much filtering? The refugium is going well, but after water changes (every 7-10 days), I see some of the refugium plant getting pushed into the main tank. The algae eaters quickly devour what comes in.

I run a phosban reactor, carbon within the ReefMat, a RedSea Skimmer. Any recommendations on a comprehensive test kit for nitrates/nitrites/phosphates? I use a Hanna for phosphates and strips and Nyos for Nitrates/nitrites.

My corals are growing, but there was a hammer that touched the Rainbow Bubble Anemone and died soon thereafter. The Anemone split into four distinct pieces. I am ready to remove at least three. One of the clowns is hosting all of them. The other two clowns are nearby, but mostly trying to eliminate the third, hosting clown. Any thoughts?

I have a bristletooth tang that kills everything that looks like him, costing me significant money. I caught him, but when doing so, a rock scratched the front of my tank! I let him go and he went on to kill a few more fish and every time I see the scratch, I get angry at the rock, the fish and RedSea for not making the glass more scratch resistant, like a nice watch face. It’s all my fault though…. Any thoughts on removing/repairing scratches on glass?

I don’t mind the couple of hours a week necessary to keep the tank in shape, but I really do like to take some vacations once in a while. What are some methods to ensure the tank survives on its own for 10-14 days (or longer).

Thanks and good luck everyone!

ATO .jpg Front.jpeg reef dose and electrical bus.jpg Reef mat and return pump.jpg Rock .jpg Skimmer and Refugium.jpg Sump.jpg
Glad to see the tank is still going after 1 year!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back