One Zoanthid colony will not open up?

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
So my tank seems relatively happy. Everyone seems to be opening up completely except this one colony of radioactive dragon eyes. I have like 5 of the same zoa across the tank and they all open just fine. It’s just these ones and I’m not sure why. Been closed for about a week. Weird? Not going to change any parameters or anything— not going to do that just because one coral isn’t happy. But if there is any tribal knowledge out there that pertains to this circumstance please help. Like blowing it with a turkey baster or something?? These guys are encrusted to the rock so I can’t pull them out.
4AD82D14-89B6-45E5-8FFE-83B7665CA3A5.jpeg
E301E0FE-F784-4449-AD78-360FCEF9763F.jpeg

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Know it doesn't provide explanation, but I have observed the same over time. On multiple strain same rock colonies or isolated colonies on other parts of the scape. A week seems about normal, and 2 weeks too long.
So others may have other explanations but hang in there and do not overreact with treatments/changes in my opinion

nice tank by the way

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Know it doesn't provide explanation, but I have observed the same over time. On multiple strain same rock colonies or isolated colonies on other parts of the scape. A week seems about normal, and 2 weeks too long.
So others may have other explanations but hang in there and do not overreact with treatments/changes in my opinion

nice tank by the way
Thank you! Yeah they were opening fine when I first got them a while back. All of a sudden just lights out. I’ll leave them be but what are the dangers if they do melt away?

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also had, rarely, some strains slowly fade away, but only in multi-strain "gardens" and then attributed it to competition
Its hard to not over react to one coral doing poorly and all else is well. Sometimes its not the tank, its just that coral - smile
of course WC and change carbon does no harm
good luck

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back