Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I need to research which pods reproduce or how many varieties I need

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to do this and be sure that you get an established population in your reef tank is to culture the pods in a separate tank with phytoplankton, then dose that culture repeatedly into your reef. The culture tank doesn't have to be fancy - an airstone and a 2.5 gallon tank will do it. For the starter, I'd recommend Algagen pods - you can buy these from Live Aquaria. For the phyto to feed them, I'd get Reef Nutrition's PhytoFeast. Note that the "regular" phytofeast is fine, it doesn't have to be the live version.

One of the reasons to do it this way is that continuously dosing sufficient phytoplankton into your nascent reef tank at sufficient densities to ensure the pods survival is both expensive and troublesome from the standpoint of nutrient buildup. Doing it in a separate small tank means that you're not too concerned about water quality, and provides you with a continuous high density pod culture to continue dosing your reef with until you get just enough nutrients in the tank for the pods to survive on their own.

OP
OP
B

bjc451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also thinking about getting either 2 blue stripe clowns or 1. Not sure if two is too much bio load or if they do better as a pair or single.

ChelseaBidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read a lot of good things about podyourreef.
We ordered tisbe/tigre/apocyclops from Algae barn and the density wasn't anywhere near what I was expecting. I was very disappointed. However, we added them to our DT anyway. It took about 2-3 weeks, but eventually we started seeing them reproduce. Fast forward 2 months, we have a huge/healthy population in the DT. I am taking pods from the DT today to start our pod cultures. Fingers crossed everything goes well! If all goes as planned, I am going to start selling some cultures occassionally. Back to the subject though, IMO- I would go with podyourreef, based on my experience with Algaebarn.

thewalkingdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a similar question here. I see lots of folks talk about copepods and amphipods. That being said, I've only ever seen copepods for sale. Are there places that sell exclusively amphipods? It seems like having a mix of those would be the best for biodiversity.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a similar question here. I see lots of folks talk about copepods and amphipods. That being said, I've only ever seen copepods for sale. Are there places that sell exclusively amphipods? It seems like having a mix of those would be the best for biodiversity.

Pretty sure podyourreef has those too

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to do this and be sure that you get an established population in your reef tank is to culture the pods in a separate tank with phytoplankton, then dose that culture repeatedly into your reef. The culture tank doesn't have to be fancy - an airstone and a 2.5 gallon tank will do it. For the starter, I'd recommend Algagen pods - you can buy these from Live Aquaria. For the phyto to feed them, I'd get Reef Nutrition's PhytoFeast. Note that the "regular" phytofeast is fine, it doesn't have to be the live version.

One of the reasons to do it this way is that continuously dosing sufficient phytoplankton into your nascent reef tank at sufficient densities to ensure the pods survival is both expensive and troublesome from the standpoint of nutrient buildup. Doing it in a separate small tank means that you're not too concerned about water quality, and provides you with a continuous high density pod culture to continue dosing your reef with until you get just enough nutrients in the tank for the pods to survive on their own.
Excellent idea... what do you have in that culture tank? Is it just bare bottom? And what do you use to capture the pods to transfer them to your DT?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back