Phyto to increase pods for mandarin?

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a 47gal AIO tank. The display is 36.5”x14”x15.75. I have a Biota mandarin that is fed daily by turning off all the pumps and I pipet a cube of frozen food. As you can expect I struggle with nutrients. Current export is a an oversized algae reactor, water changes, and I’m starting Nipox.

I was wondering if you all thought adding live phyto to boost the pod populations may serve as a substitute to the frozen food for the mandarin / give enough pods to ensure it is sustained while reducing nutrient import.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a 47gal AIO tank. The display is 36.5”x14”x15.75. I have a Biota mandarin that is fed daily by turning off all the pumps and I pipet a cube of frozen food. As you can expect I struggle with nutrients. Current export is a an oversized algae reactor, water changes, and I’m starting Nipox.

I was wondering if you all thought adding live phyto to boost the pod populations may serve as a substitute to the frozen food for the mandarin / give enough pods to ensure it is sustained while reducing nutrient import.
If already growing macro you way not have a need to dose in the first place.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a true believer in LIVE phyto dosing.

Phyto is the start of the feeding chain(food web). Feed the little critters, to feed the larger critters. We try to keep entire ecosystems in a box, why not feed EVERYTHING in that ecosystem and not just the large animals?

I have kept a breeding pair of green mandarins in an 80G cube for the last 6 years with 0 issues. I do not target or supplement feed them, but I do dose 90ml of live phyto daily to feed the pods.

A good live phyto that is not loaded with "fertilizer" will not cause your nutrients to climb. I personally would steer clear of the "big box stores" for your phyto and look up some fellow hobbyists down in the for sale section. Much better products for a much better price. If I had to recommend someone, look up @Eldredge. Been buying phyto from him for a few years now, and have not found anyone even close to the quality and price of his live phyto.

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a true believer in LIVE phyto dosing.

Phyto is the start of the feeding chain(food web). Feed the little critters, to feed the larger critters. We try to keep entire ecosystems in a box, why not feed EVERYTHING in that ecosystem and not just the large animals?

I have kept a breeding pair of green mandarins in an 80G cube for the last 6 years with 0 issues. I do not target or supplement feed them, but I do dose 90ml of live phyto daily to feed the pods.

A good live phyto that is not loaded with "fertilizer" will not cause your nutrients to climb. I personally would steer clear of the "big box stores" for your phyto and look up some fellow hobbyists down in the for sale section. Much better products for a much better price. If I had to recommend someone, look up @Eldredge. Been buying phyto from him for a few years now, and have not found anyone even close to the quality and price of his live phyto.
How often are you feeding frozen? Do you have a refugium?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fuge, but I do have a good amount of rock rubble in my "fuge" section of the sum,p I dump phyto in every day. Its a nice safe heaven for pods to breed, and I can see the "fuge" section teaming with pods.

My daily feeding routine is 9am 3 rotation on an auto feeder(TDO, NLS, and alage max), 4pm they get 1 block of PE mysis, and 1 block of ROE to 9 fish.

I do not target feed my mandys, and I have never seen them even look twice at any frozen. They are strictly pod eaters and wild caught.

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fuge, but I do have a good amount of rock rubble in my "fuge" section of the sum,p I dump phyto in every day. Its a nice safe heaven for pods to breed, and I can see the "fuge" section teaming with pods.

My daily feeding routine is 9am 3 rotation on an auto feeder(TDO, NLS, and alage max), 4pm they get 1 block of PE mysis, and 1 block of ROE to 9 fish.

I do not target feed my mandys, and I have never seen them even look twice at any frozen. They are strictly pod eaters and wild caught.
Nice, good to know!

OP
OP
djryan2000

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If already growing macro you way not have a need to dose in the first place.
really? ive always heard a typical setup has to be around 70G to support a Mandy on pods alone. is this something id just have to try and see how the Mandy looks?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back