Open Brain coral super inflated in the middle

Zwinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers i was wondering if someone could help me with some answer with whats happening with my open brain coral. The last couple weeks it seems to only inflate in the middle portion/mouth of the coral rather then the edges, I feed this coral twice a week and it has no problem accepting food. When I google and research other brain corals I don't see any inflated quite like mine. Is mine unique or is there something Im doing wrong thanks.
image0.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do this sometimes to move(inflate to be picked up by the current). Plate corals do this also.
Looks to be quite happy to me.

Sometimes they are just odd shaped. I bought a trachy a while ago that had a barnacle right where the skeleton folds. The barnacle died, but it caused it to split into 2 separate heads on one skeleton. They do not look like a trachy head now as they are perfect circles(almost lobo ish), but it was certainly a trachy when i bought it oh so many years ago.

20221024_074715.jpg

If it was closed up, and I could get a pic of the skeleton, you could see it is most certainly a trachy.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back