Opinions on best parameters for a mostly zoanthid tank.

bgruchow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is running great I even just adjusted my parameters a little and everything is even happier than it was. Just wanted some opinions.
Two biggest questions are alkalinity and salinity. Also in reading some other people's threads they seem to think above average nitrates are better for zoas but not sps. Opinions please.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a highly debatable topic when it comes to zoas. The above statement that zoas prefer "dirtier" water has been stated many times as there have been many folks that have SPS dominant tanks with lower nutrients, and they cant keep zoas alive. But there are plenty of tanks out there that are filled with acros and zoas. So this is simply not true. I thought the same thing for a while, but I have since seen too many tanks to believe that zoas only do well in higher nutrient or "dirtier" water tanks. My tank has just now in the last few months gotten to where all the zoas are very happy and spreading like mad. And my levels are all very low for SPS.

I think it is more about stability than anything else. But I would definitely shoot for ALK to be at 8.5-9 and salinity to be 1.025

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back