Thoughts on my Corals/Health

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’ve gotten almost all the corals I want in this tank (adding a couple more zoas for some nice gardens but that’s about it) and I think they’re all looking pretty healthy, just wanted some opinions of how everything is looking and as things grow where I should relocate some corals, I think I was a little messy with placement… I’m hoping the xenia will start growing on the back of my tank but that’s all I really care about placement wise, my first ever aquascape and corals.

Parameters:
Temp: 78F
pH: 8
Salinity 1.025
Alk: 8.5 dKh
Calcium 420ppm
magnesium: 1350
Phosphates: .08-.13 varies a bit but in that zone
Nitrate: 18ppm
nitrites & ammonia: 0

Thanks in advance!

IMG_3513.jpeg IMG_3514.jpeg IMG_3515.jpeg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking pretty good! The zoas at the top of the scape look a bit stretched out, which might mean they are wanting more light. . . I'm far from a zoa expert so I could be way off, but makes me wonder what your PAR/lighting it. My only other thought is. . . careful with the xenia and BTA. . as if they are happy you might end up with more xenia and BTA than you bargained for haha.

Still looking really great so far!

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’ve gotten almost all the corals I want in this tank (adding a couple more zoas for some nice gardens but that’s about it) and I think they’re all looking pretty healthy, just wanted some opinions of how everything is looking and as things grow where I should relocate some corals, I think I was a little messy with placement… I’m hoping the xenia will start growing on the back of my tank but that’s all I really care about placement wise, my first ever aquascape and corals.

Parameters:
Temp: 78F
pH: 8
Salinity 1.025
Alk: 8.5 dKh
Calcium 420ppm
magnesium: 1350
Phosphates: .08-.13 varies a bit but in that zone
Nitrate: 18ppm
nitrites & ammonia: 0

Thanks in advance!

IMG_3513.jpeg IMG_3514.jpeg IMG_3515.jpeg
Hey there! Nice job - in my opinion and take with a grain of salt... I would give the xenia's away, they will take over entirely and you'll have a heck of a job removing it. Secondly, the paly zoa you have will also take over. If you keep the cluster of zoas you have there, that's the only spot they'll be. The paly's will eventually cover it.

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! Nice job - in my opinion and take with a grain of salt... I would give the xenia's away, they will take over entirely and you'll have a heck of a job removing it. Secondly, the paly zoa you have will also take over. If you keep the cluster of zoas you have there, that's the only spot they'll be. The paly's will eventually cover it.
thank you! I appreciate the advice, the small green zoas in that spot, you don’t think they’ll spread around?

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you! I appreciate the advice, the small green zoas in that spot, you don’t think they’ll spread around?
They palys will probably get closer and you'll only have minimal growth from the the small green zoas. It's all good, part of the fun - see how it goes!

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking pretty good! The zoas at the top of the scape look a bit stretched out, which might mean they are wanting more light. . . I'm far from a zoa expert so I could be way off, but makes me wonder what your PAR/lighting it. My only other thought is. . . careful with the xenia and BTA. . as if they are happy you might end up with more xenia and BTA than you bargained for haha.

Thank you!!! and yeah, I’ve been told… will probably end up ripping out xenia like there’s no tomorrow

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!!! and yeah, I’ve been told… will probably end up ripping out xenia every week hahaha

edit: don’t know why that responded twice

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They palys will probably get closer and you'll only have minimal growth from the the small green zoas. It's all good, part of the fun - see how it goes!
If I end up removing some of the palys should I really be worried about the palytoxin? When I first got these I had no idea and was handling them and moving them around with my hands, nothing happened but I’ve heard stories..

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, it's all looking good. Soon, you'll regret how healthy those xenia and zoa's are :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
What is that mushroom looking thing with the green dots? came attached to the palys and just separated them.. I think they look pretty cool but I have no clue what they are haha

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I end up removing some of the palys should I really be worried about the palytoxin? When I first got these I had no idea and was handling them and moving them around with my hands, nothing happened but I’ve heard stories..
Ok, back in the day i was told the same thing - i've never experienced it at the time, but it's possible. You can avoid a future problem and remove them while you remove the xenia lol. Some people love the paly's you have, i just think they take over and become harder to manage. It's all personal preference though, do you what you like, dont listen to me, it's only my opinion - it's your picasso!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back