Opinions on curing dry rock?

OrthoVet05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I was going to be picking up some BRS reef saver dry rock (~50 pounds or so) in the next couple of weeks. I may add a small amount of live from the LFS to prime some cycling and I am using Dr. Tims. Is this the best option. I know patience is a virtue but I do want to get started with getting this tank cycling.

I have read so many opinions about curing dry rock? Some people say it needs to cure for 5 months?? What do you guys think? What am I supposed to do?!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your going with dr tims any way, use his whole process. Get the pure ammonia he sells.

I'm LR fan personally , but why start dry and add algaes.
I'm analgae fan too. But...

Def go slow. The long wait with dry risk is to allow the bacteria to get deep into the rock. IMO it's more a maturity thing. The more mature a bio filter the better.

Fwiw lfs live may only be dry that's been curing for months weeks or days even.

OP
OP
OrthoVet05

OrthoVet05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually am going to go with 80# of CaribSea south seas base rock. I heard that the BRS reef saver rock sometimes doesn’t appear as it does online but I did find some of the south seas at the LFS for a decent price and I was able to avoid shipping prices as well as I could see it in person.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back