Opinions on Maroon Clownfish

Chayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, looking for opinions and thoughts on what type of maroon clownfish to add to my reef. Interested to hear other reefers experiences, pros and cons. Also want to know which maroon member will more likely host in the rbta I have. Thanks!

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is my understanding that they are all basically the same fish, just different color variations. Have owned several of them and all have have hosted RBTA's so doubt it matters which variation you choose.

OP
OP
Chayo

Chayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can I add 4 to my tank. I have 6 nems that could use attention all relatively close to each other Or would they just end up fighting to the death

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't know there was more than one type of maroon. Anyhow love mine and rbta is natural host so should work out. I wouldn't add more than two and make sure one is much larger. Add the smaller first.

OP
OP
Chayo

Chayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a couple variations listed in LA website o_O but yeah maybe 4 is pushing it since I have heard they are territorial.

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of maroons. Took them a year but now they won't leave the btas and are very protective of them.
I have a Lighting maroon and looking into getting a RBTA do you think he/she would quickly home it Is it normal for them to host an anemone quickly ?

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Lighting maroon and looking into getting a RBTA do you think he/she would quickly home it Is it normal for them to host an anemone quickly ?
Both my maroons were captive bred and may have never even seen a nem. Both went right to the RBTA in a couple days.
IMG_0495.JPG

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my maroons were captive bred and may have never even seen a nem. Both went right to the RBTA in a couple days.
Very nice. I’ll have to give it a go. It’s just weird seeing my clown host a blank corner.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroons can get quite large. Do not do 4 unless you want dead ones. A pair would be fine, just get them as juveniles and let them hash out the details. :)
All maroon clowns are the same species (Premnas biaculeatus) unless it is a hybrid.

OP
OP
Chayo

Chayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a gold stripe and green bta....They have yet to decide to become besties. I'm hoping one day.
How long has the wait been, do you try anything to encourage the meet up. I saw a video online where a guy introduces the fish right away to the nems to promote the relationship

OP
OP
Chayo

Chayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroons can get quite large. Do not do 4 unless you want dead ones. A pair would be fine, just get them as juveniles and let them hash out the details. :)
All maroon clowns are the same species (Premnas biaculeatus) unless it is a hybrid.
Okay I’ll stick to two and hope they become role model citizens

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a couple variations listed in LA website o_O but yeah maybe 4 is pushing it since I have heard they are territorial.
Dont buy from LA they have gotten so much worse over the years with fish being sick. It just the color or pattern you want though, all else is the same
Yep only 2, they will also more than likely attack you when you put your hands in the water, maroons are mean but still my favorite clownfish

OP
OP
Chayo

Chayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I buy two bigger looking maroons will one change sex so that they are male and female? Or just kill each other

Back