Opinions on the best sand sifter

Jeight

Mumble
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to add a sand sifter. I have a couple of weeks until my wrasse is done with QT so I like to preplan my next move and I think it is time to look for a sand sifter. I have the Caribsea Hawian fine black and about a 1" base and made sure the sand is not under my aquascape. I would like to keep it simple this is a utility fish so hardiness and temperament are most important to me.

casper320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An unexpected one that I like is the Squaretail bristletooth tang. Before I bought it I never realized it was a detritavore. It sifts only the top part of the sandbed.

It won't clean the entire sandbed like a diamond goby, but it also won't get sand all over your corals and eat your microfauna.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a gold head sleeper. My sand is always spotless. This guy is a work horse and doesn't make massive piles of sand. That's the duty of my gold nugget lol

One thing to consider is coral low in the tank or on the sand bed. I had to reposition my acan rock slightly because he was dusting them

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you can get it eating prepared foods, or the tank is large enough to support lots of microfauna for it to eat.

They are also infamous carpet surfers.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you can get it eating prepared foods, or the tank is large enough to support lots of microfauna for it to eat.

They are also infamous carpet surfers.
With my sleepers large mouth he will typically gobble up the large chunks of rods that the smaller mouthed fish will ignore

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my sleepers large mouth he will typically gobble up the large chunks of rods that the smaller mouthed fish will ignore

Nice. I've never kept a gold head, just diamond gobies.

I posted right after you, so it may have looked like I was referring to gold head spleepers.

RumMnky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you set on it being a fish? A tiger conch is a great alternative IMHO. I have a pair in my RSR425 and they keep the sand bed pretty clean.

+1 the conch is a great alternative.. I've lost more frags in the sandbed to gobies than I care to count. I have a love hate with my Rainford /Court Jester Goby.. Im convinced he pics a coral an purposely sets out to bury it.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to add a sand sifter. I have a couple of weeks until my wrasse is done with QT so I like to preplan my next move and I think it is time to look for a sand sifter. I have the Caribsea Hawian fine black and about a 1" base and made sure the sand is not under my aquascape. I would like to keep it simple this is a utility fish so hardiness and temperament are most important to me.

I have a sandsifting starfish and 1 conch in a 6ft. I am thinking about adding one more conch. I am not sure there would be enough for another star fish. The starfish will upend frags in the sand as it surfaces sometimes. I sometimes think I see some algae in the sand (grade a plus crushed coral) and then I go to get the gravel vac the next day and it is clean. yellow watchman, link's goby, rainford's do not seem to do anything with the sand.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to diamond gobys but unless yours is well behaved they can dump sand on anything lower and forget corals on the sand unless he sticks to one area lol

Mine is awesome though

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Diamond Watchman Gobies are the ultimate sand sifters BUT they can be a pain in terms of long term viability in a given tank and can create terrible sand storms in the tank. IMHO a Conch Snail is the best compromise between sand cleaning abilities without making any mess in the tank. I went through 2 DWG in a couple of tanks I had and finally switched to Conch Snails and haven't looked back:

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond Watchman Gobies are the ultimate sand sifters BUT they can be a pain in terms of long term viability in a given tank and can create terrible sand storms in the tank. IMHO a Conch Snail is the best compromise between sand cleaning abilities without making any mess in the tank. I went through 2 DWG in a couple of tanks I had and finally switched to Conch Snails and haven't looked back:

I have two fighting conches in my 75. They are very cool. Usually see them roaming around before lights on

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two fighting conches in my 75. They are very cool. Usually see them roaming around before lights on
Mine generally come out a few hours before the lights go out on the tank and start working and they are very active at night. Never knew why they were called fighting conches until I filmed the aforementioned video (between the 4 minute-4:30 mark). Very interesting.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine generally come out a few hours before the lights go out on the tank and start working and they are very active at night. Never knew why they were called fighting conches until I filmed the aforementioned video (between the 4 minute-4:30 mark). Very interesting.
In the mornings I can see their trails from overnight. If I catch them out in the morning i usually see them near the corners of the glass with their trunks out. Sometimes even see them going for a ride up the glass

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiger wardi goby

FDDAA4C5-FF49-416D-9212-12077B876351.jpeg

A80770FB-03F1-4BE1-89C8-8523C028B24C.jpeg

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool looking fish ! & a deep, well mature Sand bed !

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 49.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back