Opinions please...sump vs. refugium

Steve Maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK...I'm planning a 75G tank that will likely house semi-aggresive fish (harlequin tusk, snowflake eel, puffer of some sort, etc.) I will most definitely have at least 75 lbs live rock and sand (shallow bed?) and probably corals. I'm going to get a skimmer that will be rated for a 150G tank or so. So...if this were your set up, would you purchase a refugium or a sump...and why?

Thanks in advance!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ My thoughts exactly :)

OP
OP
Steve Maxwell

Steve Maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL...that's the response I thought I would get. Now for another question...anybody have any experience with the eshopps R-200? This is the one I've been look at, but also considered building my own from a glass aquarium...but seeing that I am not the handiest person, I would need to have very detailed instructions or a prepackaged DIY kit. Anybody have any experience with those?

Ebone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with that one but a build your own is not very hard, and will perfectly match whatever skimmer, return, equipment and fuge you desire.... your LFS probably can do it for you if you are not comfortable.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really is easy to build your own. I've built several, even one completely custom out of acrylic. That one i just measured my stand, skimmer and return pump, planned it all out then had an acrylic shop in dallas cut all the pieces for me. It was intimidating to tackle, but was really easy once i got started. Building one out of an existing tank is even easier. You can even copy the plans from an existing custom sump and make it to fit your equipment.

thehammer1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building your own is extremely easy just make sure you use the right silicone. It'll also save you some money and allow you to design it how you want to. Nothing more than a fish tank yet at Petco during their dollar per gallon sale a couple pieces of glass that the local glass shop can sell you for cheap and some silicone

OP
OP
Steve Maxwell

Steve Maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I missed the dollar per gallon sale at Petco & Petsmart :( I would be interested in building my own, but really don't know what I want! The tank is currently setting in the living room next to the TV, so I would want something quiet, large enough to put a skimmer that could handle at least 150G, a heater, a refugium that I can put some cheato (is that what it's called?), maybe some miracle mud(?) and maybe a few pieces of live rock so I can grow pods for this tank and my 29G Biocube, room for a pump, maybe room for some other filter media...a lot of them I've seen have sock/bag filters in them..., and a bubble trap (?). Other than that, I'm not sure. Oh...also my tank is NOT drilled and I'm not willing to drill it as it would void the warranty, so I will need equipment for that as well.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 13.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 47 45.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 36 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back