Opinions Wanted for Skimmers

bushh23

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 17, 2009
Messages
450
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 180g reef with mostly SPS and some chalices. I am looking to buy a new skimmer for it that will actually pull some nasty crud. The one i have now does not pull much at all and sometimes i wonder if it is even working. Can anyone give me a recommendation on a great skimmer? Also i am looking to plumb this tank, my frag tank and fish only tank (155g) all together within the next few months so if you know of a skimmer up to 400g in capacity, that would be much appreciated as well. Thanks
 
Here are a few i would look into if i was looking for that size of system. Octopus SRO XP5000, 60watts, 80scfh, $675. SWC300 Cone, 78w 110scfh, $650. Warner Marine MF251 cone, 42w, 80scfh, $750. All are similar in size and will handle that system fine. I have used all three and they all work well.
 
I see you guys carry 2 of them. If you had to pick one of the three as the best you've used all around and only have it in about 4-5" of water, which would it be?
 
The only one that will work in shallow water is the SRO XP 5000 and it needs to have around 5.5-6" to work correctly. The other two need around 8-9" to work correctly. Its tough to call one "best" as they all have there pro's. I like all three. The wm 251 is the best efficient large skimmer i've ever seen. It pulls 42w, 80scfh of air at less than an amp. But you pay $750 for it. The sro is the medium of the three as it pulls an efficient wattage at 60 and good air at 80scfh. The swc300 cone pulls massive amts of air at 110scfh, uses an askoll pump, but pulls a bit more wattage at 78w. The WM and SWC completely come apart for cleaning as well. But like i say the only one that will work in shallow water is the sro XP5000. I'm sure you would like all the above and you can't go wrong with any of them.
 
I just checked and I actually run the one we have now in 7-9" of water. I was a little off.
 
Gotcha, then any of the three would work well for you. I would look at all three and see what you prefer.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new