Optimal Photoperiod for SPS

Masgatigata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious about what people think is the optimal photoperiod for SPS. I currently run my lights for 10 and a half hours. The white lights are on for 7 and a half. They max out at 90% blue and 55% white for about 5 hours. I'm happy with my growth but have read that a lower photoperiod can help maximize growth and color. Wondering what everyone else is running and how your coral growth and color have been.

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my photoperiod 12 hours...1.5 hour ramp up and ramp down, so that would be 9 hours of full intensity. I have great growth. I have Vegas and I run them as shown below:

White 65%
Red 40%
Green 40%
Blue 85%
Dark Blue 85%
Royal 85%

This may sound a little high, but I have a glass cover over my tank and I need to compensate for that.

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run by Blue T5's for 12 hours a day and I run my 3 250W MH for 6 hours a day. Everything seems to do great.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SPS are growing great even on the bottom of a 30" deep bare bottom.

I'm a firm believer in 500 PAR at the top of the Live Rock and at least 200-250 PAR at the bottom.

This for a 30" deep tank is a 400watt MH with Actinic Supplement.

That said my LEDs (ditched the MH and VHO years ago) are on full for only 5 hours a day with a ramp up and down to simulate the the natural photo period documented by Fossa and Nilsen in the Modern Coral Reef Aquarium Vol 1

DaytimeLUX.jpg

Bill

OP
OP
M

Masgatigata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly the information I was looking for….I've been researching and the recent information suggests only 5 hours of white light with a ramp up and down to simulate natural sunrise and sunsets. I've recently changed my light schedule to 5 hrs of white light and a total of 12 hours blue.

My SPS are growing great even on the bottom of a 30" deep bare bottom.

I'm a firm believer in 500 PAR at the top of the Live Rock and at least 200-250 PAR at the bottom.

This for a 30" deep tank is a 400watt MH with Actinic Supplement.

That said my LEDs (ditched the MH and VHO years ago) are on full for only 5 hours a day with a ramp up and down to simulate the the natural photo period documented by Fossa and Nilsen in the Modern Coral Reef Aquarium Vol 1

DaytimeLUX.jpg

Bill

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont forget the Royal Blue (450nm) is your primary grow LED offering the most PAR per watt.

I have only one bank on dimmed down along with some UV (410nm) for evening viewing.

PhotoWavelength_zps29db24cb.jpg

Bill

tonythefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill hooked me up years ago with a 2:1 ratio royal blue , cool white with some high noon blast . I ramp for 60 min in am and eve and a 2 hr blast of high noon . Total of 12 hrs. Very happy with growth . Just added some uv to frag tank for some extra color pop !

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropical Corals are just that..... evolved or grown accustomed to a Tropics Solar Cycle of very little variation annually, 11-13 hours of daylight. Quite unlike most of our regional seasonal changes further North. One of the many benefits to running LED's is having them on a controller allowing the long ramp-ups and ramp-downs. I to run a 2 hour Noonday PAR blast on separate circuit with 12 Cree 6500K's.

Cheers, Todd

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read up on the Hydras yet, so I would be afraid to answer your question. You can go to AI's website and e-mail them...they are really good at calling you back...if not, I'm sure there is someone on here that can answer your question though.

Connie: If you had Hydra 52's what level would you put the UV light?

Abraham

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running ReefBreeders leds 294w 98 leds of 3 watts
3 cyan 10 UV 45 RB 40 white 20k

12 hours of RB uvs and cyan starting at 11:00am and turning off at 11:00pm
6 hours of whites staring at 1:00pm and tunrinf off at 7:00pm

Its working well for me.

OP
OP
M

Masgatigata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lights for 13 hours a day with a 1 1/2 hour ramp on each end.

So 10 hrs of white light? I originally had 8 hrs of white. I've now lowered it to 5 to see if there is a better result in color and growth. From what I have been reading lately, it seems less is more. Idk how true this is, but I will get back with results.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals need light so the zooxanthellae (symbiotic algae) can grow and do photosynthesis to feed the coral polyps. The zooxanthellae only do photosynthesis for 4 to 6 hours (the bright part of the tropical day from 10am to 4pm). Anything more than 6 hours of full light isn't used by the coral. It doesn't hurt, but it's not needed.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good info in this thread. Bump!

JVI90gREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I love about this hobby...SO MUCH information about so many untraveled avenues (depending on one's setup) that once you do venture out or change something...the info is just waiting for fellow reefers to soak it all up!

BUMP!

OP
OP
M

Masgatigata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm currently in experimentation mode. I have to reefbreeder photon 16 and a I also have an ati 6 bulb fixture. My dilemma is I love the growth the LEDs give but hate the lack of color. I love the color the t5s give but hate the lack for growth. Soooo, I decided to put them both over my tank to see how the corals respond. The LEDs and the t5 are hung up so they are angled toward each other. The LEDs are the main light and then the t5s turn on for 4hrs. 2 hrs blue+ 2hrs blue+, coral+, purple+. So far so good. The fixture looks as dumb as sin but if the corals end up liking it I will build a hood to house the LEDs and add a 4bulb t5 retro down the road.

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So going by that chart 10k lux is highest point in natural light?

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 34 15.0%
  • No

Votes: 168 74.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 25 11.0%
Back