Radion G6 pro question for sps

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I've been using the G6 pros over a shallow 19" deep sps tank and basically I use all the blues at 100% and both whites to a max of 25% at overall 80% intensity. Only now some growth tips have appeared. Before at a lower overall intensity the corals grew but extremely slow. I'm not sure what to do with the whites for optimal growth and color in the corals. Especially the warm whites. Any experiences would be helpful....at 25% is that too high ? Not enough? I could do the WWC deal with whites on half the photo period and just blues for the second half. Not sure what to do with those

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you're struck with a conundrum. Any fiddling with the light spectrum will disrupt the growth that has started.

With pros, I tend to stick with AB+ for the peak and use the blues as a ramp up and down.

As for faster growth, it's hard to say, because there are a lot more factors than lighting and spectrum.

I'd say if you're experiencing growth, then stick with the settings you have.

Chasing after some dream of the better spectrum will leave you disappointed.

Even with spectrums that the well known farmers use. I would be reluctant to switch my lighting schedule and spectrum just because wwc uses it.

The best thing to do is to set it and forget it. Otherwise you're starting at square one every time you tinker.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4693.png

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the white settings above for your max intensity during the middle of the day and blue settings otherwise.

OP
OP
kevensquint

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone with a vibrant reef use that ? I'm skeptical on the warm whites. My eyes love them but not sure if they could cause corals to pale out.
I'm not looking to tinker, I'm looking to understand how I can optimally use the whites especially the WW and then set it and forget it. I don't see the benefit of setting it and forgetting it if I'm pretty sure the schedule is not the best or at least quite good.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my G6 pros, WW, CW, Red and green are set to 24 while everything else is at 100.

That provides good growth as well as good color.

I think anything above that with the whites, starts to wash to color out.

Perhaps once the corals get used to the whiter light, it will adapt and bring back the color.

The AB÷ spectrum is simply an attempt to mimic the popular T5 spectrum that a lot of people swore by for growth and color, you can certainly increase the whites and grow corals. But the question becomes, at what cost?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back