ORA Aiptasia eating filefish

FishFilet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the longest time my ORA Aiptasia eating filefish lost its mottled coloring and became less and less likely to roam the tank. Maybe I thought his tank mate a six line wrasse was making him hesitant as he did remove a case of lymphocystitis eagerly and satisfactorily. A little like having a surgeon run at you with a scalpel without anesthesia. Then I determined the lil guy wasn’t moving round much because he wasn’t seeing well. So I treated him two times with PraziPro considering it was caused by Digenea flukes. It took over a month for him to come around and then I changed his food. He colored back up. Added in new amphipods and I’ve never seen him color up this well.

The main problem was perceiving an eye problem since they do have unusual opaque eyes.

OP
OP
FishFilet

FishFilet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0453.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the longest time my ORA Aiptasia eating filefish lost its mottled coloring and became less and less likely to roam the tank. Maybe I thought his tank mate a six line wrasse was making him hesitant as he did remove a case of lymphocystitis eagerly and satisfactorily. A little like having a surgeon run at you with a scalpel without anesthesia. Then I determined the lil guy wasn’t moving round much because he wasn’t seeing well. So I treated him two times with PraziPro considering it was caused by Digenea flukes. It took over a month for him to come around and then I changed his food. He colored back up. Added in new amphipods and I’ve never seen him color up this well.

The main problem was perceiving an eye problem since they do have unusual opaque eyes.

I also cannot tell about its eyes from the photo. One type of fluke, Neobenedenia causes the surface of the eyes to become cloudy. Digenean flukes cause deep-seated cloudiness of the eyes, but adding Praziquantel to the water does not really remove those.

One issue with Neobenedenia is that praziquantel does not kill its eggs. It is VERY common for infections to return after double treatments. Three to five treatments, 8 days apart is sometimes required.

Jay

OP
OP
FishFilet

FishFilet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay. Cross my fingers it’s Neobenedenia then. If not here I go again.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 115 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back