Film on my blue spotted puffer

sky414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this pic. What’s this film on my puffer? Parameters are ammonia -0, nitrite 0, nitrate - 3ish. I’ve had her for 10 days. Currently running prazipro as a preventative measure. Today is day 3 of the 7 day prazipro cycle.

IMG_3502.jpeg IMG_3504.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sky414 Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Check out this pic. What’s this film on my puffer? Parameters are ammonia -0, nitrite 0, nitrate - 3ish. I’ve had her for 10 days. Currently running prazipro as a preventative measure. Today is day 3 of the 7 day prazipro cycle.

Not a film but a bacterial issue and it appears fish i in quarantine already. This is a kit I have low confidence in and water quality may have both contributed to this as well as need for good water quality moving forward. I would suggest to take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
Are you using any treatment in this tank?
You will want to treat fish with seachem Kanaplex and add aeration using an air stone.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Skin mucus on fish can have different causes: water quality issues, bacterial disease and protozoan diseases. Rarely, will flukes cause this (and that's what prazi treats). In this case, I'd guess it is a bacterial infection. Here is some further reading:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 121 74.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back