Sick Valentine puffer

cale_tino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a valentini puffer that has a very large stomach which I’ve never seen before and he’s just been sitting on the bottom of the tank doing nothing dose anyone know what’s going on.

ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates:0

PH: 8.2

IMG_2441.jpeg
IMG_2440.jpeg
IMG_2439.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a valentini puffer that has a very large stomach which I’ve never seen before and he’s just been sitting on the bottom of the tank doing nothing dose anyone know what’s going on.

ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates:0

PH: 8.2

IMG_2441.jpeg
IMG_2440.jpeg
IMG_2439.jpeg
The stomach looks proportionate but if there is any bloating, may be constipation due to type of foods fed especially if pellets. Add brine shrimp to the diet which will help food pass IF this is the issue.
What foods are you feeding it?

OP
OP
cale_tino

cale_tino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stomach looks proportionate but if there is any bloating, may be constipation due to type of foods fed especially if pellets. Add brine shrimp to the diet which will help food pass IF this is the issue.
What foods are you feeding it?
Mysis shrimp, about a week ago I was putting medicine in the food for ick but he’s not eating at all now

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mysis shrimp, about a week ago I was putting medicine in the food for ick but he’s not eating at all now
What medicine were you using? It could be a toxicity.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This food will cause excess mucus in the stomach lining and may be a contributor. Pull off and feed brine shrimp and even flakes for time being. I dont see medication needed and Metro should be used carefully as a tiny amount at .5gm by weight is all that is needed

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem metroplex, the lady at my local store recommended it because I have coral so I wasn’t able to use copper

Metroplex is bitter and if added to food, will often put fish off their feed.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As above I have never had success with fish eating medicated food - on the same topic - It would be interesting to hear @Jay Hemdal s and @vetteguy53081 s opinion on garlic, and other appetite enhancers. (though its a little off topic)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As above I have never had success with fish eating medicated food - on the same topic - It would be interesting to hear @Jay Hemdal s and @vetteguy53081 s opinion on garlic, and other appetite enhancers. (though its a little off topic)
Garlic is an immunity booster and will do nothing with this
A change in diet will likely pan this out

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Garlic is an immunity booster and will do nothing with this
A change in diet will likely pan this out
Right - totally agree. I do not think there is much else to do in this situation except changing the diet - I suppose there is a possibility of an internal infection. My question wasn't specific to this fish it was more general (which Is why I said slightly off topic)

EDIT - actually I don't agree. Garlic is purported to be an appetite increaser. Thus if a fish won't eat mediated food, are any of the number of purported things helpful? "Garlic is an effective appetite enhancer and the most powerful component of garlic is called allicin. Allicin is the chemical in garlic that has the power to actively and directly kill parasites and it has been shown in scientific studies to actively kill parasites including freshwater Ich, marine white spot (also known as marine Ich), and others."

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, hate to hijack this conversation, but I was also wondering their thoughts on the matter of garlic.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree, hate to hijack this conversation, but I was also wondering their thoughts on the matter of garlic.
I revised my post - take a look above:). I miss-spoke

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back