Orange algae? Cyano?

MikeDesjean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

so background, I had a small Dino problem, nothing crazy and bought a green killing machine from petco. 9W unit ( looking to go cheaper route before buying more legit uv)

installed in display of my WB 20 AIO. It took a few manual removals along with uv but it seems to be at bay.

started to feed a little heavier to get nutrients up, and yesterday and today I have been noticing this orange stuff. It gets picked up nice by the up light and the more I looked the more I started to notice it around the display in very small spots.

I cleaned filters room and skimmed sand of the stuff as well brushed off any frag rock that had it on it. Which was very minimal.

there was some on the glass as well but not much. Enough to notice it when I starting investigating today. My first thought was to let it ride for a day and see what happens but it didn’t seem to be right so I cleaned up.

Hopfully this picture helps some. The stuff won’t pick up in picture when blues are on so lights are off and it’s being hit with a flash light. I just happened to miss this small spot and figured I would see what everyone thought it could be.

on the sand it looked slimey but also dusty at the same time. The rock it was in didn’t blow off but it came off with a very gentle scrub of a tooth brush. I thought cyano but it’s orange? And with lights a pretty brightish orange.
61565AEF-4E23-4C25-B066-C7A980B98A68.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey all,

so background, I had a small Dino problem, nothing crazy and bought a green killing machine from petco. 9W unit ( looking to go cheaper route before buying more legit uv)

installed in display of my WB 20 AIO. It took a few manual removals along with uv but it seems to be at bay.

started to feed a little heavier to get nutrients up, and yesterday and today I have been noticing this orange stuff. It gets picked up nice by the up light and the more I looked the more I started to notice it around the display in very small spots.

I cleaned filters room and skimmed sand of the stuff as well brushed off any frag rock that had it on it. Which was very minimal.

there was some on the glass as well but not much. Enough to notice it when I starting investigating today. My first thought was to let it ride for a day and see what happens but it didn’t seem to be right so I cleaned up.

Hopfully this picture helps some. The stuff won’t pick up in picture when blues are on so lights are off and it’s being hit with a flash light. I just happened to miss this small spot and figured I would see what everyone thought it could be.

on the sand it looked slimey but also dusty at the same time. The rock it was in didn’t blow off but it came off with a very gentle scrub of a tooth brush. I thought cyano but it’s orange? And with lights a pretty brightish orange.
Could possibly be but too much light reflection to confirm

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I would focus on the green stuff right now. It looks like it is taking over.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 83 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.4%
Back