Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse injury - please take a look

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added a tomini tang and a blue hippo tang to my tank that had a powder brown that was recently added. The powder brown messed up the tomini, but I got that aggression under complete control with a mirror. They are both doing good now (needless to say I will use an acclimation box in the event I have to add a tang to a tank that has a tang in it already).

In the process the aggression made some of the other fish freak out and hide. I think my Orange-Back Fairy wrasse got injured in the process. He must have scraped himself on a rock or got stuck.

Can you guys check the video out and let me know what you guys think? He mostly been hiding today and yesterday but came out for feeding. Thank!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the wrasse? Whenever I see a linear lesion on a wrasse, it get worrying about Uronema .
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't think it is from injury?
Could be, but Uronema mimics an injury. Take a look at my article here on “red band disease” in the articles section here. I’m on my phone so I can’t link it for you.
Jay

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be, but Uronema mimics an injury. Take a look at my article here on “red band disease” in the articles section here. I’m on my phone so I can’t link it for you.
Jay
Okay thanks. What does this mean for the rest of my tank inhabitants? Is this something that entails a need to reboot your tank and sterilize it?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks. What does this mean for the rest of my tank inhabitants? Is this something that entails a need to reboot your tank and sterilize it?
No, Uronema is found in most aquariums. For some unknown reason it stops feeding on bacteria and attacks newly acquired chromis, wrasse and anthias. It rarely spreads to older fish.
Jay

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, Uronema is found in most aquariums. For some unknown reason it stops feeding on bacteria and attacks newly acquired chromis, wrasse and anthias. It rarely spreads to Oder fish.
Jay
Okay, last question. Going forward, how do you prevent it from attacking newly acquired fish of which you stated?

DucatiGtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine.. if he got injured it will heal up.. I had and have the same yellow
Corris wrasse jumped 4 times whilw
Doing maintenance.
My Bengal
Cat had him in his mouth last time and messed up
His entire side, fish was almost dry.. I threw him back in and he begging swimming after a min or so.. he’s healed up and fine now, 3 weeks later

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, last question. Going forward, how do you prevent it from attacking newly acquired fish of which you stated?
You really can't - I avoid yellow coris, green chromis and small anthias for that reason. Getting fish that have been conditioned by the dealer for a period of time really helps, because the Uronema breaks on them, not you.

This could be a simple injury, but you need to be aware of all options. If it is Uronema, at some point you'kk see the fish start to breath harder and stop eating. If that doesn't happen, and the lesion doesn't grow in size, then it is likely just a simple injury.

Jay

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really can't - I avoid yellow coris, green chromis and small anthias for that reason. Getting fish that have been conditioned by the dealer for a period of time really helps, because the Uronema breaks on them, not you.

This could be a simple injury, but you need to be aware of all options. If it is Uronema, at some point you'kk see the fish start to breath harder and stop eating. If that doesn't happen, and the lesion doesn't grow in size, then it is likely just a simple injury.

Jay
@Jay Hemdal I was able to find where the fairy wrasse is currently hiding. Looks like he will probably pass but cannot get him out cause he is in a small crevice opening under base rock. We will see what happens.

Am I going to be safe to add more wrasse? I wanted to add another two wrasse to my tank before this happened.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I was able to find where the fairy wrasse is currently hiding. Looks like he will probably pass but cannot get him out cause he is in a small crevice opening under base rock. We will see what happens.

Am I going to be safe to add more wrasse? I wanted to add another two wrasse to my tank before this happened.
Well, giving all new fish a full quarantine is best. If you can’t do that yourself, consider buying prequarantined. I would wait at least 30 days before adding a new fish, just to ensure nothing is cooking in your tank.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal so if I wanted anthias (which I do), the only way you would recommend me getting them is to sterilize my tank?
No, if it is Uronema, that protozoan is found in almost every tank - it is just the susceptible fish that develop infections - so my advice is to buy prequarantined or at least conditioned anthias, and let the dealer take on any early losses.

Jay

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, if it is Uronema, that protozoan is found in almost every tank - it is just the susceptible fish that develop infections - so my advice is to buy prequarantined or at least conditioned anthias, and let the dealer take on any early losses.

Jay
Okay sounds good, how about me just quarantining myself from here on?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 45 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back