orange spotted blue filefish sex changes

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 6, 2021
Messages
5,864
Reaction score
26,460
Location
DFW Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7346.jpg

I've had two orange spotted blue filefish for about a year. They arrived tiny size and both female. Now both seem to be male. I can't find anything online about orange spotted blue filefish sex changes. Hoping someone can help me find appropriate info as google searching isn't finding anything.

I find online that they do well in groupings, and early on as two females they got along great. About a month ago they began aggressively chasing and this is when I paid attention to their black fin which now is obviously spotted indicating they've (become?) males.

I have a 180 gallon with only Hector's goby, Ecsenius pulcher, yellow goby, psychedelic (target) mandarin, copperband butterfly fish, regal angelfish, magnificent foxface, and two orange spotted blue file fish.
 
IMG_7346.jpg

I've had two orange spotted blue filefish for about a year. They arrived tiny size and both female. Now both seem to be male. I can't find anything online about orange spotted blue filefish sex changes. Hoping someone can help me find appropriate info as google searching isn't finding anything.

I find online that they do well in groupings, and early on as two females they got along great. About a month ago they began aggressively chasing and this is when I paid attention to their black fin which now is obviously spotted indicating they've (become?) males.

I have a 180 gallon with only Hector's goby, Ecsenius pulcher, yellow goby, psychedelic (target) mandarin, copperband butterfly fish, regal angelfish, magnificent foxface, and two orange spotted blue file fish.
Maybe their true sex just hadn't been realized yet since they were so small. Or they hadn't matured. I couldnt find anything about filefish changing sex.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new