Orange spotted file fish - care guide

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I’ve been keeping a pair of orange spotted file fish for the last 4 months and have successfully acclimatized them to aquarium life and prepared foods such as pellets and flakes. Since (correct) information seemed to be fairly hard to come by even though this species does pop up from time to time in the trade I figured a decently in-depth care guide could provide some value…and hopefully save some file fish.
Check it out if you’re interested :)

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! It's a dream fish of mine, haven't had the courage to try one out though so I will definetly watch this!

Nice with a fellow Scandi on R2R! I do enjoy your channel btw..

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I’ve been keeping a pair of orange spotted file fish for the last 4 months and have successfully acclimatized them to aquarium life and prepared foods such as pellets and flakes. Since (correct) information seemed to be fairly hard to come by even though this species does pop up from time to time in the trade I figured a decently in-depth care guide could provide some value…and hopefully save some file fish.
Check it out if you’re interested :)

How much are they for? I've never seen orange spotted go above 60 bucks in price, which surprises me. Maybe I'll try one out.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much are they for? I've never seen orange spotted go above 60 bucks in price, which surprises me. Maybe I'll try one out.
About £40 in the UK. That's about CAD 65.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! It's a dream fish of mine, haven't had the courage to try one out though so I will definetly watch this!

Nice with a fellow Scandi on R2R! I do enjoy your channel btw..
With some work it’s definitely an achievable dream :)
Glad to hear it man!
I got these basically for free as the lfs owner just wanted them to have a fighting chance. I do believe they are fairly cheap…which is a shame really as that will entice people who has no business dealing with them.

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With some work it’s definitely an achievable dream :)
Glad to hear it man!

I got these basically for free as the lfs owner just wanted them to have a fighting chance. I do believe they are fairly cheap…which is a shame really as that will entice people who has no business dealing with them.
I don't really want to risk my reef, but it'll be a cool fish to try out for sure. Montis cost more than filefishes, however.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really want to risk my reef, but it'll be a cool fish to try out for sure. Montis cost more than filefishes, however.
It’s a common misconception that they will harm the corals to any large extent. The physically can’t bit down on anything with that straw for a mouth.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back