Orange Spotted Filefish

Kittenslim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two came in really skinny, but the third looked good. It really helped to have two leopards initially, the competition encouraged them to eat and they seemed to feel safer.

The healthiest looking filefish took to masstick right away. The larger and skinnier ossf looked skeptical, but didn’t want to see the little guy eat all of the food, so reluctantly joined in. All of the ossf are now eating (only masstick) enthusiastically. They seem to vibe well with the leopards. There’s a target mandarin and a blue spotted jawfish in there as well. None of these fish would do well with aggressive eaters.

Attachments

• IMG_1280.mov
    84.8 MB

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Two came in really skinny, but the third looked good. It really helped to have two leopards initially, the competition encouraged them to eat and they seemed to feel safer.

The healthiest looking filefish took to masstick right away. The larger and skinnier ossf looked skeptical, but didn’t want to see the little guy eat all of the food, so reluctantly joined in. All of the ossf are now eating (only masstick) enthusiastically. They seem to vibe well with the leopards. There’s a target mandarin and a blue spotted jawfish in there as well. None of these fish would do well with aggressive eaters.
Just watched a video on them last night. Check this out on Youtube, he has some good tips to get them eating.

OP
OP
Kittenslim

Kittenslim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched a video on them last night. Check this out on Youtube, he has some good tips to get them eating.

Thanks! I tried masstick on coral skeleton initially, but my ossf were only interested when it was on the glass. I think it helped that the leopard fish were eating.

I’ve ordered some polyp pellets from panta rhei. Hopefully, they’ll eat those too. My experience with mysis was similar. They do seem to like live pods (like most fish), and baby brine shrimp.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I tried masstick on coral skeleton initially, but my ossf were only interested when it was on the glass. I think it helped that the leopard fish were eating.

I’ve ordered some polyp pellets from panta rhei. Hopefully, they’ll eat those too. My experience with mysis was similar. They do seem to like live pods (like most fish), and baby brine shrimp.
Where did you find the Panta Rhei pellets? I can’t find them anywhere in the US. I had 5 OSFF for 3 years until a heavy metal contamination problem killed most of my tank.

OP
OP
Kittenslim

Kittenslim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your loss, it sounds heartbreaking. I ended up ordering the pellets from Europe. It’s a bummer they can’t be found in the US.

The three I have are male, I’d like to add a few female eventually.

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the fish doing?? I have one that eats mastick that I mix with Tod pellets and he seems to like it. He and my copper banded butterfly enjoy the masstick

OP
OP
Kittenslim

Kittenslim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the fish doing?? I have one that eats mastick that I mix with Tod pellets and he seems to like it. He and my copper banded butterfly enjoy th
There was one that started fat and healthy he’s eating everything (mysis, pellets, bbs, etc) and he keeps up with his tankmates.

The others started skinny and there is only one left. I haven’t been able to put weight on him and he’s only really excited about masstick. Good luck with yours!

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping to get him to eat frozen. He seems interested but never really eats any. Looks like I’m gonna have to stock up on masstick

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back