Orbit Marine Nano LED for 10 gallon

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if this light is able to sustain softies and possibly LPS in a relatively shallow tank, just under 11" deep. If not, I'd appreciate other suggestions --- preferably under $150. Any potential upgrades won't be happening in the foreseeable future so I'm only worried about it supporting this tank. Thanks!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, you should be OK with the soft corals like zoas and mushrooms. LPS may do OK as well. I'd suggest you get one and give it some time to see how it does. Then decide if you want to do more. But my best guess is that you'll be OK (mostly because it's a shallow tank).

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, you should be OK with the soft corals like zoas and mushrooms. LPS may do OK as well. I'd suggest you get one and give it some time to see how it does. Then decide if you want to do more. But my best guess is that you'll be OK (mostly because it's a shallow tank).
That's what I'm thinking too. Thanks!

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 orbit marines from when i first started. Amazon sent me an extra set on accident lol. It will grow lps i even had btas higher in the tank that were growing like crazy. I just didnt like the colors of the LEDs. Whites were too yellow imo and the blues were too dark. Good for the money for a shallow tank id say though

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 orbit marines from when i first started. Amazon sent me an extra set on accident lol. It will grow lps i even had btas higher in the tank that were growing like crazy. I just didnt like the colors of the LEDs. Whites were too yellow imo and the blues were too dark. Good for the money for a shallow tank id say though
Good to know, thanks. Got one on sale for $50 so I'm happy! Vitality and growth is definitely my priority over LED colors --- although would that affect growth, or is it just cosmetic? My tank has a darker background that gives it kind of a cool deepwater look, so I don't think I'd mind darker blues, assuming it's just a matter of display.

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the light today and I'm happy with it! Way brighter than I was expecting and has great coverage for its size. Excited to see how it does with corals :]

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got any updates on how its doing with the LPS, if you got any @Magnapinna? I have the same light, so I would like to know. Also, what setting do you have it on? I am so losses with this light... Lol.

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that light and I'm thinking about getting another Orbit Marine as I upgrade to a larger tank. I happen to really like the Orbit Marine lights. They now have an app and a device that will control a wave maker and the light instead of using the remove control and separate display. I don't want to jinx it but I've only had a saltwater tank since October and all the corals I've put in are growing like crazy and don't fit. Everyone in there keeps touching each other and I've had a couple mushrooms get annihilated by 2 bubble tip anemones that are going to take over Tokyo pretty soon. So, bigger tank - sticking with Orbit Marine. Also, I love looking at the cloudy day feature.

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got any updates on how its doing with the LPS, if you got any @Magnapinna? I have the same light, so I would like to know. Also, what setting do you have it on? I am so losses with this light... Lol.
Hey --- no corals yet as I've been doing a lot of travelling but now that I'm a little more settled I'm hoping to start with some LPS soon. I click the button for blues 4 times and the one for whites 4-5 times. That's almost as low as it can go and it still lights up the whole room, on full settings the tank looks like the surface of the sun lol. This little thing is bright and while I don't know the PAR rating, it certainly looks much brighter than those at my LFS which are sustaining some beautiful and healthy SPS. Regardless of brightness I think around 80% blues + 20% whites look the most appealing with this light. More whites make it look a little purple but even then it looks quite nice imo.

I'm expecting it to support LPS with ease; I'm almost worried it may be too strong since my tank is only about 12" deep.

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good have you any pictures so far

It's needing a bit of attention -- just got in this evening from a week-long trip :) -- but here's one from right now:
IMG_20240415_021600538_HDR.jpg

Excuse my lack of a powerhead too --- the Aquaclear 50 produces enough flow to create dunes on any more than the lowest flow. I'm struggling to find one that isn't overkill especially because my clown is a wobbly swimmer

OP
OP
Magnapinna

Magnapinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that light and I'm thinking about getting another Orbit Marine as I upgrade to a larger tank. I happen to really like the Orbit Marine lights. They now have an app and a device that will control a wave maker and the light instead of using the remove control and separate display. I don't want to jinx it but I've only had a saltwater tank since October and all the corals I've put in are growing like crazy and don't fit. Everyone in there keeps touching each other and I've had a couple mushrooms get annihilated by 2 bubble tip anemones that are going to take over Tokyo pretty soon. So, bigger tank - sticking with Orbit Marine. Also, I love looking at the cloudy day feature.
Yeah I've gotta say I'm very pleasantly surprised by this light, for the Nano was only $50 on sale. Unbeatable for how bright it is especially in a shallower tank. It did ship to me without the screws which I wasn't prepared for lol but the vendor sent me a pair separately at no cost.

Do you know if the controller will work with the nano model? That's huge if so, would much rather it be programmable than have to plug it into a separate timer

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's needing a bit of attention -- just got in this evening from a week-long trip :) -- but here's one from right now:
IMG_20240415_021600538_HDR.jpg

Excuse my lack of a powerhead too --- the Aquaclear 50 produces enough flow to create dunes on any more than the lowest flow. I'm struggling to find one that isn't overkill especially because my clown is a wobbly swimmer
Great job thanks for sharing enjoy your journey

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've gotta say I'm very pleasantly surprised by this light, for the Nano was only $50 on sale. Unbeatable for how bright it is especially in a shallower tank. It did ship to me without the screws which I wasn't prepared for lol but the vendor sent me a pair separately at no cost.

Do you know if the controller will work with the nano model? That's huge if so, would much rather it be programmable than have to plug it into a separate timer
I'm setting up a 40B and I bought Current Orbit Marine lights for it and as soon as I get them I'll let you know. The reason why i THINK it will work with the app is that I'll have an extra blue tooth controller. In a nutshell, I bought one of the long 36"-48" lights and then found out I might need 2 to grow SPS so I bought a second light from SaltwaterAquarium.com and the customer service person said I'll need a different controller to program both lights to work as one. My first light came with the bluetooth controller but I had to buy an additional one ($21) to connect 2 lights to be programmed as one. Hope that makes sense. So, I'm thinking if I plug in the nano light upstairs to the blue tooth controller I won't need anymore it might work with the Loop app. Is that confusing. I'll try to update tonight because I can see on my Ring camera that I've got a huge box with my lights in it sitting on my front patio.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 152 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back