Oregon LFS Live Rock

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the market for some live rock for a 20 gallon peninsula build I'm starting. Anyone have good experiences getting live rock from from their Oregon LFS that was pest-free? The Premium Aquarium in Salem seems like a nice shop, but there is an Aiptasia on the live rock pictured on their site :oops:

sherb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some base rock from a fellow PNWMAS member that was pest-free, but I think he's sold out. I ended up selling that and getting a load of the good stuff from KP Aquatics. You can always try posting to the PNWMAS.org classifieds and see if anyone can help you out.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow Oregonian! I'm an hour south of you. We lost Aqua Serene and I haven't been into The Nautilus in a long time - but they'd be my first try now. Down here in Roseburg we have Atlantis and I think they do have some LR in tanks. They're currently suffering a setback with their marine aquatics supplier though so not much going on otherwise.
I have extra dry rock - you could always cure it in a tub to make it live.

OP
OP
atlantean

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi neighbors! I'm now leaning towards the KP Aquatics route since their starter rock is very reasonably just over $8 per lb with shipping. Seems like the only real pests to expect from them are ones you can trap. My dad threw in the towel with reefing after a prolonged battle with Aiptasia, so I'm eager to avoid engaging in the same war.

OP
OP
atlantean

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some base rock from a fellow PNWMAS member that was pest-free, but I think he's sold out. I ended up selling that and getting a load of the good stuff from KP Aquatics. You can always try posting to the PNWMAS.org classifieds and see if anyone can help you out.
Thanks for alerting me to the PNWMAS. I hadn't discovered it yet!

OP
OP
atlantean

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put the order in to KP Aquatics. Little frustrated that they just raised their prices today!! :( Will let you know what I get.

shanedag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put the order in to KP Aquatics. Little frustrated that they just raised their prices today!! :( Will let you know what I get.
Any update on your order? I'm in Eugene. In October/November, I ordered and received rock/sand from TBS for my 180 gallon. It was phenomenal. I'm now looking to order some for a small 25 gallon. Was thinking of KP Aquatics, but wasn't sure how far out they are on orders.

OP
OP
atlantean

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on your order? I'm in Eugene. In October/November, I ordered and received rock/sand from TBS for my 180 gallon. It was phenomenal. I'm now looking to order some for a small 25 gallon. Was thinking of KP Aquatics, but wasn't sure how far out they are on orders.
Hello fellow Eugenian! I'm happy with the live rock order. Maybe only wish I ordered 15lbs instead of 20lbs and asked for nano-sized rocks for my 20 gallon tank. I experimented with different aquascaping today and anything else made you realize how much rock is actually in there.

Lots of around 4-5 inch brittle stars made the journey. I think all the scarlet mithrax crabs and the pistol shrimp didn't make it. Have seen two cases of a hairy crab leg in a hole, so I'm on the hunt for gorilla crabs.

KP Aquatics was able to send it out the week after I ordered. Smelled like the fresh ocean when I opened up the box! For what its worth, I ordered the starter rock rather than the older uncured rock.
IMG_3753.JPG

shanedag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow Eugenian! I'm happy with the live rock order. Maybe only wish I ordered 15lbs instead of 20lbs and asked for nano-sized rocks for my 20 gallon tank. I experimented with different aquascaping today and anything else made you realize how much rock is actually in there.

Lots of around 4-5 inch brittle stars made the journey. I think all the scarlet mithrax crabs and the pistol shrimp didn't make it. Have seen two cases of a hairy crab leg in a hole, so I'm on the hunt for gorilla crabs.

KP Aquatics was able to send it out the week after I ordered. Smelled like the fresh ocean when I opened up the box! For what its worth, I ordered the starter rock rather than the older uncured rock.
IMG_3753.JPG
Man that rock looks really great. Thanks for sharing! Just placed my order for the rock shipped in water. Yeah gorilla crabs...2 months in, I think I’m finally down to a couple gorilla crabs left. Also couple stone crabs. They can be a real PIA to catch. I’ve finally resorted to hovering over their cave entrance with a skewer right after I feed. Hated to go this route, but traps were not working.

Thanks again for sharing!

Back