Oregon or cali Tort??

jlane220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a few frags at a swap a while back. And this one is an Oregon Blue tort however I have noticed the polyps have a green color to them. Only the polyps appear green all the skin is a deep blue. Could it be a Cali Tort? I'm completely happy with the frag, I just don't want to duplicate purchases the same frag again. I have read that sometimes Orego blue is mistaken for cali Tort. My lights are running at about 15k for reference.

20240422_174112.jpg

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very nice frag, definitely an Oregon tort. The Cali tort will show green skin at the base where the Oregon will be blue throughout. Sometimes the polyps will have some green.

Here's a snap of mine for comparison. You can see I have the same.
P4180093.JPG

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me or does the lighting make these all look, well the same. And thus the OP's question.

Not saying anyone is right or wrong - just the lighting and commentary is, well, rather fun. No disrespect intended to any of you. Side note I don't run blues and my so-called Cali Tort is in line with the lads notes above about base green, or some green tint with the rest blue purple haze blend color sort of thing. And the cool thing about mine is that is what I was told it was but really have no clue one way or another.

So when someone asks me I just say acropora.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My oregon tort did show a bit of green polyps and also a couple frags I made had a tint of green in the coral at first and then turned blue.

OP
OP
jlane220

jlane220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very nice frag, definitely an Oregon tort. The Cali tort will show green skin at the base where the Oregon will be blue throughout. Sometimes the polyps will have some green.

Here's a snap of mine for comparison. You can see I have the same.
P4180093.JPG
Thanks for the confirmation. I hadn't seen anything that said oregon had the green polyps.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me or does the lighting make these all look, well the same. And thus the OP's question.

Not saying anyone is right or wrong - just the lighting and commentary is, well, rather fun. No disrespect intended to any of you. Side note I don't run blues and my so-called Cali Tort is in line with the lads notes above about base green, or some green tint with the rest blue purple haze blend color sort of thing. And the cool thing about mine is that is what I was told it was but really have no clue one way or another.

So when someone asks me I just say acropora.

It's definitely subtle, no doubt about that.

Miagi and Cali in particular are so close.

Miagi
P4180060.JPG

Cali
P4220132.JPG

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back