ORP is very disturbing

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is ORP from ozone the same as ORP created naturally?

I have a serious problem.
My orp is to high I don't know what to do.

Yeah today it was 550 mV. Yeah crazy. I did a 20 percent water change and it dropped to 450
The thing is my polyp on my SPS hasn't retreated. Fish and clean up crew are still alive. I run ozone but I haven't in 10 days once my ozone started creaping past 450.
The last time I had a ozone accident that resulted in my orp shooting up to 560 overnight. Everything turned white every living thing in my tank bleached and died.

I would like you to see the reading on my just calibrated (yesterday) new orp probe since I didn't believe my 3 month old one. This was before lights go out and ORP generally rises at night for me.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1347854132.318654.jpg

Is this a bacterial process?
About the same time I started having this problem I disconnected my biopellet reactor because my ALgae scrubber started working very nicely.
Still getting great scrubber growth. That's the only change.
I have never heard of this happening?

Shouldn't my tank be dead? I have tried to catch my mystery wrasse but it's impossible.

Any suggest for lowering ORP?

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your pH running at? The ORP could be raising with the pH at night I suppose. Is your algae scrubber running 24/7 or on a reverse schedule with the tank lighting? I would guess it possible to have a lot of "less powerful" oxidizers present with few reducers comparatively which would give you a seemingly high reading.

If I remember correctly, adding organics to the tank (more food etc) should lower the ORP.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back