ORP Probe - Readings

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just filled my tank about 2-3 days ago, nothing in it put dry rock, live sand and salt at this point. Just started Dr. Tim's fishless cycle.

Question regarding my ORP Probe and readings......since I started it up its been like 130 - 165/175

Is this normal or kinda low? What should the range be at this point and going forward?

Looks like according to my Apex chart it's kinda climbing steadily though.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take weeks for a new ORP probe to 'settle'. Mostly a useless measurement anyhow.

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha...yeah, I've kinda read that....but good to know, be in the correct range at some point.

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anywhere in between 300 and 400 I think is where you would want it. mine normally runs low 300s or right under 300. I have times where It will be all over the place though so I just use it for a reference

Reef Jeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep...takes a good week or two depending on the probe. Sometimes they will stay stuck between 100-200 for a few days and then start climbing slowly until they finally settle in. Mine runs between 325 and 350 normally. I used to use it to control an ozone reactor, but I don't use that approach anymore. Newer techniques have provided high water quality so I no longer need ozone to keep a very nice system stable.

I disagree about it being a worthless measure. I use it as a quick reference just like I do with temperature and PH. You will notice a swing day to night which is normal. The actual number means less than the TREND. When it starts to trend down, it can be an indicator of reduction components accumulating like increased organics, skimmer off line, addition of livestock, or if significant, death of something.

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I will keep an eye on mine over the next week or two and hopefully it comes up to a normal level.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back