Orphek Lights: What is the safe operating temperature range?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Messages
40,654
Reaction score
67,848
Location
Fontana, California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I've started 2 threads about my lights today. Ha! So for this one, my question is what is the safe zone for operating my lights? I notice the app reports temperature which is very helpful, but I’m not certain how hot these should be allowed to get. I have added vent holes for circulation in the canopy lid, but I also bought a fan to help blow cool air through the canopy for cooling. I did want to check and see what the safe operating temperature is for the lights. I've been looking online, but I can't find anything that specifies what the operating temperature should be.
 
This is the closest I could find stating anything about operating temperatures;

High Temperature Alarm:

High temperature conditions are typically caused by faulty fans.

Obs.: If the temperature reaches 60℃, a high temperature warning will be triggered once. If the temperature increases to 65℃, the light will automatically shut off while the fans will run at maximum speed. Once the temperature decreases below 50℃, the light will automatically turn on and resume normal operation after a 10-second delay.

Upon receiving a high temperature alarm, follow these steps:

  • Verify that all fans are functioning correctly.
  • Ensure that all fans are properly installed, particularly if the light has been upgraded from an older version.
 
This is the closest I could find stating anything about operating temperatures;

High Temperature Alarm:

High temperature conditions are typically caused by faulty fans.

Obs.: If the temperature reaches 60℃, a high temperature warning will be triggered once. If the temperature increases to 65℃, the light will automatically shut off while the fans will run at maximum speed. Once the temperature decreases below 50℃, the light will automatically turn on and resume normal operation after a 10-second delay.

Upon receiving a high temperature alarm, follow these steps:

  • Verify that all fans are functioning correctly.
  • Ensure that all fans are properly installed, particularly if the light has been upgraded from an older version.
Thanks! You did better than me! I looked but couldn't find anything, so I reached out to Orphek with the question, and they replied that the lights can operate up to 60℃ (140F), but that it's better to keep them at 50℃ (122F) or below (lower is better).

I am glad that you found that there's a failsafe built in to prevent them from overheating. That will help me rest easier. Yesterday was the first day I ran them, and they got up to about 47℃ (117F) at peak time, so I think I'm OK. I may add another fan just to be safe.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new