Orphek or4+hydra 32 opinions

Steamreefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 28, 2025
Messages
158
Reaction score
71
Location
saskatchewan
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Looking to add some supplemental lighting to my 4 foot mixed reef tank.

I come from high tech planted tanks and loved using t5ho bulbs. Naturally I was looking into the aquatic life hybrids but after reading about how bad the light spill is (tank is next to my tv) i thought maybe not.

After hours of research on what's available to me in canada I've come up with this idea.

Screenshot_20260411_102230_Samsung Internet.jpg


Although this kit shows 4 brackets in the picture it says it only comes with 2 (really misleading) I already have the hms bar shown in the picture, and my hydra 32s currently have their own bracket.

I finally found the pdf for the instructions shown here

Screenshot_20260412_075019_Drive.jpg


My thoughts were to purchase 1 of these kits, so 2 brackets total and mount the orphek or4 light bars on either side where the ai blades are shown. Granted I would only have 2 support points per orphek would you agree it'll probably be enough support.

Anyone see any issues using the orpheks on their own support bracket as well as the hydras on their own brackets?

Haven't come across any threads or videos of people doing this.


While im here ill add another question. Reducing light spill in mind, would you guys get the 36 or 48 inch model? Im choosing these because I can angle the in towards the center of the tank rather than straight down like t5s would be.

With having 2 hydra 32s what color temp orphek would you go with

Reef day (18000k)
Blue plus
Blue sky
Uv/violet
 
You will get light spill from most lights depending on mounting height. I'd stick with the T5s personally!!

As far as the Orphek, you are going to get various opinions as some like an overly blue tank, some like a somewhat blue tank and some, like me, prefer a more natural spectrum with only "blue" for an hour in the morning and an hour before lights out.
 
36" bars will be fine. A little less par on the ends but not an issue.
Should have minimal light spill.
I run 3 or4 uv/v bars on my 150-60×30×21. The or4 bars need 12-14" mounting height. Mine are at 12" . The photon 50's are 48" also.
20260328_125700.jpg
 
Also if you have not looked at them yet the meridian edge bars are quite nice and have alot of power. I run 24" 14K bars on my 112, 36×36×19, and a 400 watt halide.
One meridian 35 would cover your system well with nothing else needed.
20260412_121412.jpg
 
Also if you have not looked at them yet the meridian edge bars are quite nice and have alot of power. I run 24" 14K bars on my 112, 36×36×19, and a 400 watt halide.
One meridian 35 would cover your system well with nothing else needed.
20260412_121412.jpg
Options are pretty limited in canada
 
You will get light spill from most lights depending on mounting height. I'd stick with the T5s personally!!

As far as the Orphek, you are going to get various opinions as some like an overly blue tank, some like a somewhat blue tank and some, like me, prefer a more natural spectrum with only "blue" for an hour in the morning and an hour before lights out.
I figured the orpheks mount swivels so I could aim them to the center and reduce light spill.

The t5 hybrid would have alot more light spill wouldnit not?

The aquatic life hybrid g3 claims to reduce light spill over the previous models but I havent found anyone confirming this.
 
I ran 8 t5's on my old 120 for a year before turning on the halides. They were 4" off the surface with no spill. The issue with bars is they need to be hung 12-14".
A 6 or 8 tube t5 is all you would need.
20200901_192846.jpg
 
I ran 8 t5's on my old 120 for a year before turning on the halides. They were 4" off the surface with no spill. The issue with bars is they need to be hung 12-14".
A 6 or 8 tube t5 is all you would need.
20200901_192846.jpg

I already have 2 hydra 32s hanging at about 11" and I really dont want to ditch those.
 
I already have 2 hydra 32s hanging at about 11" and I really dont want to ditch those.
Start with 2 36" orpheks and go to 4 if you think you need it but most likely won't. That will keep most of the light in the system.
I ran 2 48" blues on my old 120 and being able to.angle them was a nice feature.
 
Start with 2 36" orpheks and go to 4 if you think you need it but most likely won't. That will keep most of the light in the system.
I ran 2 48" blues on my old 120 and being able to.angle them was a nice feature.

Now i cant decide if I should get 2 blue plus, 2 blue sky, or 1 of each.

Worried if I do 1 of each it will be noticeable in the tank
 
If you want, check my build thread in a little bit.

I have a 4' tank and am currently using the Aquatic Life hybrid with 3 Radeon XR15s and 4 T5 tubes on it. I have two 3' UV/Violet OR4 bars coming to replace the T5 lights. So I basically currently have what you were thinking about doing, and will soon have your potential replacement idea. If you'd like, I could turn off my room lighting and try to get a picture of the tank with light spill with the T5s so you can see what it might look like.

The reason I'm switching is honestly less about performance and more about availability - T5 bulbs are getting harder to come by. BRS has been out of stock on the ATI Blue Plus bulbs for months and it looks like everything else is soon to follow. Plus I am apparently one of those weird reefers who prefers the blue-heavy look... I don't really like the way corals look in full-spectrum lighting. Yeah, it looks more unnatural, but keeping corals in a big box of water is already pretty unnatural.
 
If you want, check my build thread in a little bit.

I have a 4' tank and am currently using the Aquatic Life hybrid with 3 Radeon XR15s and 4 T5 tubes on it. I have two 3' UV/Violet OR4 bars coming to replace the T5 lights. So I basically currently have what you were thinking about doing, and will soon have your potential replacement idea. If you'd like, I could turn off my room lighting and try to get a picture of the tank with light spill with the T5s so you can see what it might look like.

The reason I'm switching is honestly less about performance and more about availability - T5 bulbs are getting harder to come by. BRS has been out of stock on the ATI Blue Plus bulbs for months and it looks like everything else is soon to follow. Plus I am apparently one of those weird reefers who prefers the blue-heavy look... I don't really like the way corals look in full-spectrum lighting. Yeah, it looks more unnatural, but keeping corals in a big box of water is already pretty unnatural.

That would be amazing.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new