OS-1, poor quality and rust inside

Meo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm experiencing some quality problem with OS-1 optical sensor used with ATK..

in 2 years, I've changed 7 sensors... all for the same problem. After a couple of months, the sensors become burned in CLOSED status.

The cause is the same: rust inside! The water enter in the back of the sensor, I think in the wire sealing. Some sensor have rust that become out of the wire hole, some others have rust Cleary visible through the PC transparent body. Like the following pic.

IMG_6608.jpg

IMG_6612.jpg

Send to the wholesaler (in Holland) from Italy, cost me the same that buy a new sensor from my LFS ("near".... it's at 2 hour by car to me...).

Anyone has experienced the same problem?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, these are prone to leaking and rusting. There was a redesign of the sensor to help to prevent water leaking inside. I believe the one you show above is the older design. The newer design dispensed with the black wire grommet in favor of a plug of epoxy. The only new one I have is not easily accessed so I cannot check it for you.

Last edited:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is V1 sensor, now there is a very improved V2.

They do have a 1 year warranty, I
hope you utilized that :)

OP
OP
Meo

Meo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, good hear this...

I think here was a stock of V1 sensors. I received only this type of sensor, never the new type.

with my LFS now so try to check if is possible to have the V2 sensors.

thank you.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at purchasing the ATK a few months ago, but kept reading situations like yours. You can try contacting Neptune Systems directly and share your experience, may save you the cost of buying a new one and shipping. This is a known issue so hopefully they won't make you return it for inspection.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at purchasing the ATK a few months ago, but kept reading situations like yours. You can try contacting Neptune Systems directly and share your experience, may save you the cost of buying a new one and shipping. This is a known issue so hopefully they won't make you return it for inspection.

I really think all the original issues have been resolved with the V2 ATK. The pump is now smart and doesn’t burn out, the optical sensors are redesigned to not fail prematurely, etc.

I have an ATK V2 and a Tunze 3155, and they are equivalent (great) performance. Nicer to have the ATK if you’re running an apex system, so can customize alerts and get notifications when reservoir is empty, sump high, etc.

OP
OP
Meo

Meo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I've spoken by phone with Joe of Neptune System support team this afternoon. He called me.

They will send soon to my (to Italy) trough the European Importer, 5 new V2 optical sensors, free to charge in warranty.

Great support. Thank you Neptune!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 48 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back