Osram Quicktronic T5 ballast wiring help

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not an electrician at all and need some help on this wiring diagram. Not for how the lamps are wired, that part makes sense to me, but more on the power supply side.

The diagram mentions a switching line, I assume it has something to do with the ballast having two outputs but am not sure. I intend to
run all four lamps (2 on each output), can someone take a look at the power input side and give me some guidance on how to wire this up?

Here are my basic questions:
1) I have a grounded cord - but don’t see a grounded input - do I just run this ungrounded?

2) There are two black inputs that the ballast says are internally connected - does that mean I just run black into either of these and I’ll be fine?

3) There is a red switching line input. Do I need to do anything with this input? I don’t really have designs about controlling the two outputs independently (if that’s what this is for).

Thanks in advance, the diagram from
the ballast is below.
35132C73-45FE-4C2A-B2B0-94854823E0B0.jpeg

B34D65B6-ECA1-4848-9C4C-4EF86EECDD6F.jpeg

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not an electrician at all and need some help on this wiring diagram. Not for how the lamps are wired, that part makes sense to me, but more on the power supply side.

The diagram mentions a switching line, I assume it has something to do with the ballast having two outputs but am not sure. I intend to
run all four lamps (2 on each output), can someone take a look at the power input side and give me some guidance on how to wire this up?

Here are my basic questions:
1) I have a grounded cord - but don’t see a grounded input - do I just run this ungrounded?

2) There are two black inputs that the ballast says are internally connected - does that mean I just run black into either of these and I’ll be fine?

3) There is a red switching line input. Do I need to do anything with this input? I don’t really have designs about controlling the two outputs independently (if that’s what this is for).

Thanks in advance, the diagram from
the ballast is below.
35132C73-45FE-4C2A-B2B0-94854823E0B0.jpeg

B34D65B6-ECA1-4848-9C4C-4EF86EECDD6F.jpeg

Follow the diagram on the left - connect the switching line to the Line terminal with a jumper wire. You can use either terminal. This looks like an on/off ballast between two outputs, usually done for things like standby or night lights in an office setup.

As for ground, it does say to ground the ballast case. There may be a hole or other position to run in with a screw where the paint has been stripped away. Normally this means attaching a ring terminal and serrated washer to the ground wire.

OP
OP
skyrne_isk

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow the diagram on the left - connect the switching line to the Line terminal with a jumper wire. You can use either terminal. This looks like an on/off ballast between two outputs, usually done for things like standby or night lights in an office setup.

As for ground, it does say to ground the ballast case. There may be a hole or other position to run in with a screw where the paint has been stripped away. Normally this means attaching a ring terminal and serrated washer to the ground wire.
That makes sense, and looking at the diagram again it did look like it wanted the second black jumped to the switching terminal. Most of the ballasts I have bought in the past were a little more straightforward / mainstream for reef tanks. Do I need to ground to something metal? I have a wood canopy with aluminum railing in it. Will these work? There is no bare spot on the ballast case.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense, and looking at the diagram again it did look like it wanted the second black jumped to the switching terminal. Most of the ballasts I have bought in the past were a little more straightforward / mainstream for reef tanks. Do I need to ground to something metal? I have a wood canopy with aluminum railing in it. Will these work? There is no bare spot on the ballast case.

I assume they're assuming the fixture this is going into is grounded. Using a serated washer to dig through the paint on one of the mounting points will probably suffice for attaching the ground wire.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back