Ostreopsis or Amphidinium (w/pics)

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a sample of dinos from one of my tanks that has had a persistent outbreak.
I also looked through this thread: http://www.algaeid.com/identification/

Based on that, and looking at a few threads here on R2R, I feel like these are probably the ostreopsis variety, but it's really hard for me to tell the differences versus amphidinium. These guys are about .03mm long, pretty flat like a sesame seed, twirl from the pointy end.

Anybody with a keen eye and a background in ID of dinos willing to confirm or refute these are ostreopsis? Thanks!

PIC2.jpg

PIC4.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see if someone on #reefsquad would have an idea

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know those guys. Definitely ostreopsis. When looking at them move they tend to move like they are tethered to a central point...rotating around that point.

UV is extremely effective against ostreopsis. Continue to keep your nutrients up, dose silicates as well.

OP
OP
jolt

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know those guys. Definitely ostreopsis. When looking at them move they tend to move like they are tethered to a central point...rotating around that point.

UV is extremely effective against ostreopsis. Continue to keep your nutrients up, dose silicates as well.

Thank you, I've been skimming really wet for a couple of weeks and that seems to be helping. Similar mechanism to UV I guess, pull them out of the water while they are mobile at night (versus kill them with UV). I will start dosing silicates too, I assume the idea is to get diatoms to compete?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I've been skimming really wet for a couple of weeks and that seems to be helping. Similar mechanism to UV I guess, pull them out of the water while they are mobile at night (versus kill them with UV). I will start dosing silicates too, I assume the idea is to get diatoms to compete?
Yes that the idea ...It has worked for me as well as uv ...and also dosing lots of phytoplankton and copepods as well

Marlon C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These were mine. 6 hours of light and uv and feeding 4 cubes a day seems to be helping
9bed6f7294e5e7730f6875ac03886c5c.jpg

OP
OP
jolt

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, looks like the same thing. I've been continuing the wet skimming and have started dosing silcates as suggested. Some are still visible but nowhere near as bad as they were.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also battled these demons. It took me months to rid my tank of them. No3 and po4 dosing helped. UV really knocked them out though. I also siphoned out as much as I could before lights off.

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, looks like the same thing. I've been continuing the wet skimming and have started dosing silcates as suggested. Some are still visible but nowhere near as bad as they were.

Where did you get silicates to dose? Also how much per gallon?

Thanks

OP
OP
jolt

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get silicates to dose? Also how much per gallon?

Thanks

I'm using Brightwell SpongExcel 1 drop per 20 gallons. I can't say its really helping though, the dinos are still there. I ordered a 40 watt UV sterilizer to take it to the next level!

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Brightwell SpongExcel 1 drop per 20 gallons. I can't say its really helping though, the dinos are still there. I ordered a 40 watt UV sterilizer to take it to the next level!

Thanks what size tank do you have?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back