OUCH possibly the end of my tank

mrcoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this morning working around the house I turned on the 2 part alk doser becasue my 2 part had run out and I wanted to bring it up by just a few points....... Yes I left the pump on and came home to a cloudy tank. I am mixing up water now and I had some tank change water that was OLD and NASTY that was cold that had not been cirulating I was using to leak test some stuff and I am using that.

While all my fish are swimming and not all my corals are gone I am sure that I will have to brace for big losses. If any one is on the west side or had a cell number for Scott at Music City Reef I would apperciate it. Just PM me his number.

Thanks

Jim

reelsilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dag man, sorry to hear this. I know a few people though that have had the same thing happen but on a LARGE scale, they made it out ok with only a few losses. Maybe this will be the case for you.

OP
OP
M

mrcoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like it snowed in my tank. Man my tank is WHITE All of the coralline died and all my rocks and glass are now snow white. I have found a ton of mushrooms and zoes that I did not know that I had as they now stand out in the snow. I have had one coral start to RTN and a frag bit the dust. The coral that is RTNing is actually what is left from the parent colony that RTN'ed when I last got my alk to high but it was no where near here. It is a shame because this one was really red.

I was at first going to pull the stuff that I wanted out and move it over to Music City Reef as they were nice enough to offer the space up but I decided to ride it out because I felt like the process of moving stuff around would be more detrimental and the shock of going to lower alk would be more of a hit than riding this out. I wanted to thank them for their hospitality and all the other people that have reached out.

Tomorrow will be another 20gallon water change as the water should be good for that. Tomorrow will tell the tale for some of the SPS.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hating reading all of this Jim...I have confidence that you will be able to get it back stable again, and I have a few free frags for you, if it gets real ugly.

orthokardia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am so sorry. i know how i felt after dumping 30gal kalk into the tank. strange enough those very delicate corals can be quite resilant.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it looking this morning Jim?? If you need to do what we talked about LMK?? I'm betting things are better now, Hope i'm right..
Bill

OP
OP
M

mrcoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are looking pretty good overall I have cleary lost a torch and some of my frog spawn looks really angry. I lost a PAVONA frag that i got (not that I have had much luck with them in the first place). I have one or two other frags that I will loose and some of my birdsnest is really jacked up but I bet those hardy buggers pull through. I have a red SPS that is left from the last rtn of the colony and we will see on that one.

Thanks for all the support. I do apperciate the help and support.

Jim

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 43 42.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 49 48.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back