Ouch.......

markie mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a buddy was having some issues with his tank, he brought me some water and we tested everything, everything looks ok.. Then he said I brought some RO water that I buy from a "store" in homewood because I don't have my own RO set up yet, can we test the TDS on your meter.. Sure I said.. So we test it and it's was 115 ppm.. I said well bud, I think we have found your problem.. My city water test 54 ppm on the inlet side and 0 coming out of course. Just wanted to share some knowledge for the people that want to know.. He just got the water yesterday.. Very sad...

NanoNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I had this same problem. I was buying ro/di water from a lfs and after a few months was having a bunch of issues. The lfs was selling me crap water with high tds. I used public ro water machines until i.e. hit my own unit. always test your water. A tds meter are less then 20$ in Ebay

Sent from my tank using tapatalk

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very good to know Mark. I was just in there last week. I have noticed they have a lot of STN problems with their SPS. That is probably why.

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well darn I'm finally getting to b'ham this weekend & this was where I was hoping to finally get a new sps frag or 2 super bummed

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well darn I'm finally getting to b'ham this weekend & this was where I was hoping to finally get a new sps frag or 2 super bummed

It would still be worth going by there while you are here. They have some decent pieces. You can rescue some before they meet their fate...lol

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just fyi if you have ever mixed salt in the bucket you put the water in you can have high TDS even if the water coming out was 0. was your your buddies bucket clean before putting in RO water? I went over there yesterday to pick up some food and Luke showed me its coming out at 2 right now...still not 0 though...he did say its due for a filter change which were coming in within the week. As always I am still going with get an RO/DI unit and monitor it yourself, but in a pinch or if you have a small tank their water isn't all that bad...

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they aren't really the place to go for sps...OP might be interested in helping you out if you hit him up. nicest selection of sps frags I have seen in Bham.
BTW Mark...I've got some setosa I've been meaning to bring by. You have any green slimer that you would part with atm? Also IDK if you have any but I'm looking for some purple slimer...I want to put it next to the green and see if they mingle...lol

OP
OP
M

markie mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have green simmer, got brown base blue tip slimer also, got the screaming green you were talking about one north al, got a baby blue wild tort in the other day when I ordered. Got some ghost planet frags, and other stuff.. Just call me...

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

markie mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and it was a 1 gallon jug, like milk jug but one that he bought water in and it was clean, I don't care how dirty it was anyway, 115 is out of this world high.. I'm not bashing anyone, I'm just telling you what I saw on my meter which I know is right. The water was only a day old too... It is what it is... And maybe it was 2 coming out, but maybe they sold out of water or forgot to make some or whatever the case may be and somebody filled it up with sink/hose pipe water to have water ready for the next guy that came in.. I dont really know other then what I saw..

Back