Our 200g slice of heaven. Peninsula build

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We transferred the contents of our 90gallon and 40gallon tanks into our new (new-used) tank.
Tank is 72" x 26 x 24" Crystal Dynamic euro braced tank.

Our tank and sump carry 200gallons (+/- 5 gallons).
Equipment: 2 x Various 6 pumps.
40 W and 25 W Aqua UV plumbed in series with Sicce pump
3 x Geissman Vervve lights on 80/20 extruded aluminum floating cantilevered rail.
Tank is 72"Lx 26"W x 22"H (165 gallon display) by Crystal Dynamics
Wavemakers will be 2 x Octos 4 in back, and one other in the front yet to be decided. There is a cheaper one in front at the moment.
Skimmer is Octos REGAL 150sss and it's on a 3" lift to keep water level at 7.5" to 8" where we dial it in nicely.
4-part doser is an X4 Pro Kaomer.
2 x 300W Eheim heaters currently run on Inkbird.
Refug light is Kessil a380 (I think that is the number)
We run 2 smaller AquaMaxx GFO in sump reactors.

Things we might add: I am giving consideration to a ClariSea Gen 2 roller, but I am doing research on which one might work best (I'll take any advice from fellow reefers).

So far, everything seems to be doing fine. It took a LOT of time this weekend to get it done and get the house clean as well as the garage. I had to clean out the other two tanks as well and get them ready for sale. (So if you are looking for a tank... keep your eyes peeled!)

right oblique side tank.jpg right side tank.jpg left side tank.jpg end of tank.jpg

OP
OP
mcshams

mcshams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This holiday I'm building custom panels for the stand. When purchased there was none. I'll update when I'm finished. I have big plans for the panels that I hope will inspire some people on here.!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks awesome!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,very nice ,been waitin for this build ;) :cool:lookin' good:)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This holiday I'm building custom panels for the stand. When purchased there was none. I'll update when I'm finished. I have big plans for the panels that I hope will inspire some people on here.!

well i love to be inspired! always looking for door ideas.

OP
OP
mcshams

mcshams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just updating a few photos. We recieved our larger new ATO tank from Advanced Acrylics. Holds 13 gallons. Cleaned a few things up. Panels will be built over Christmas break.

updated tank halloween left oblique.jpg updated tank halloween left.jpg updated tank halloween right oblique.jpg updated tank halloween right.jpg updated tank sump with new ato tank.jpg updated tank sump with new ato tank2.jpg

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the attention to detail in the sump area. Is that a custom box holding all the controller and dosing equipment. Very cool.

OP
OP
mcshams

mcshams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the control box is custom. I wanted a need way for cords to be housed, and wanted material that would really put up with water abuse. The material is 1/2" HDPE (high-density polyethylene/plastic). It puts up with any saltwater. If I really knew what I was doing, I could have heat welded it instead of screws as the screws if constantly wet would eventually give in to rust.

The back panel has U-shaped slots from top and bottom to allow the cords to go into either from top or bottom. All of the power cords and excess are in the box portion and out of the way. The box has a "floor" and is lifted 2 inches above the floor of the stand in case any water leaks out into the stand.

Lastly, the back panel is completely removable using 4 latches. This way I have access to all the power supplies and cords if I have to remove anything for maintenance/repair/replacement. We also put in a cabinet fan so that any heat from within the box would be vented out. It was a gizmo we decided added to the tank even if it might not be needed. It was an Amazon purchase for $49.99.

The material cost was around $240. However, if shipping wasn't so expensive atm due to Covid etc AND the plastic stores around here would be more amiable to me arriving to purchase one sheet, you can get enough of the 1/2" HDPE for about $150-170. They make thinner sheets (i.e. 3/8" and smaller) but I needed the box to be rigid enough.

For the doser: I just took excess material from making the control box and made me a little frame for the doser and dosing containers.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really clean. Well done. I think it’ll be even better when you get the panels on. As clean as the plumbing looks, it still seems to distract from the tank. Looking forward to seeing those in place.

I really like peninsula tanks too. But I don’t have anywhere in my house that one could work. All of my rooms are longer and narrow, so I can only put a tank against my walls.

My water mixing station is HDPE. It was probably purchased in the late 90’s, and was originally my sump. That stuff is indestructible by salt water. Mine looks no different now than it did then, with the exception of maybe some scratching. Wise choice for longevity.

Looks like a very well thought out and clean setup. Nice job!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.6%
Back