Our First Wild Caught Starfish!!

Mary Gundel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We caught 2 starfish while we were at the beach on the golf coast. We honestly werent expecting them to survive as they were being washed up all over the shore. Its going on week 3 now amd they are doing awesome in one of our tanks! Eating well amd seem very happy!!
20180403_153313.jpg
20180403_154148.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Mary. :)

Just keep any eye out for the stars eating corals. Not all starfish are reef safe.

What are you feeding them?

OP
OP
Mary Gundel

Mary Gundel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Mary. :)

Just keep any eye out for the stars eating corals. Not all starfish are reef safe.

What are you feeding them?
Awe thank you!!
I am actually feeding them raw shrimp. They r eating it well. We heard that if they get hungry enough they will eat our corals...so i make sure to feed them by hand every other day, until they wont take another piece.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

If they eat shrimp I imagine your coral are in danger. I’m not real great with starfish ID aside from ten or so common stars, however.

OP
OP
Mary Gundel

Mary Gundel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

If they eat shrimp I imagine your coral are in danger. I’m not real great with starfish ID aside from ten or so common stars, however.
We are keeping a really.good eye on them. Honestly we only brought them home as food for our harliquin shrimp lol

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luidia clathrata, a very common sea star found off the coast of Florida and other regions in the gulf. It's one of several similar species in the genus but I use the radiating line on each arm + their distribution as an ID key. Should be reef safe since they're primarily scavengers in the wild, serving the same purpose as our sand-sifting sea stars (side note they are NOT Astropecten polyacanthus like very website says, but rather Archaster typicus). Glad to see that it's healthy and eating since most wild caught stars are prone to death from shock

Back