Our new, upgraded reef (100 gal tank)

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Introducing our new tank! In late 2019 we set up a beautiful 125 gal system with lots of nice gear and Denver Bronco’s color theme equipment and plumbing. I have to say it wa a gorgeous system with a variety of beautiful corals and a handful of colorful fish. In late 2021 I was hospitalized and had a disastrous bowel surgery that resulted in a 2 month hospital stay. The reef obviously suffered from neglect. Only basics were done for months (feeding and keeping ATO reservoir filled was about all my husband could do while spending most of his time with me). We ended up selling everything except a 40 gallon Breeder and a large rock with an anemone that my husband wanted to keep. After another major bowel surgery, another month in the hospital and a very long recovery we finally got to the point where we feel we can have a bigger tank again. We’re on a very tight budget so most of it is DIY, not like some of the gorgeous set-ups I’ve seen, but it is functioning well and all of the livestock looks happy! I only currently have my clowns in there because they’re symbiotic with the anemones. Want to purchase and QT a few more fish and add all to new tank at same time to avoid agression. Dont want to overstock so really carefully considering what we would like to have in there. This is a short video I shot yesterday (sorry for the football commentary in the background!

‘Equipment:
Unbranded 100 gallon tank, 60” x 18” x 22” tall
Lights: LED- 2 Vipraspectra 365W set at 36% blues only, 1 reef Breeder blues only @ 100% (over thick glass cover that reduces available PAR), 4-48” T5’s (4 different ATI bulbs) that are timed to go on and off for several short periods during the day
Sump: DIY 40B, used unglazed ceramic floor tiles for baffles. Red Sea Reefmat 500, Marine Color 250 skimmer (works remarkably well), Jebao DCP 15000 return pump, Hygger 800 watt heater with Ehieim Wi-Fi controlled backup
Controller: Coralvue Hydros with Qaud Wi-Fi power bar (expandable and will eventually buy additional ports)
Jebao wave pump SLW-30 and unknown additional wave pump
Because I transferred all my live rock and corals, I chose to try the Tropic-Marin Bio-Actif salt - have to say my corals look better then they’ve ever looked so we’re doing something right!
parameters:
temp, 78.6
dKh - 8.0
pH - 8.0
specific gravity handheld refractometer - 1.025
PO4 a little high @ .14
NO3 - 4.2
Calcium - 440
Mag -1350

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are off to a great start again. I like the split rockscape design.
Well I’m glad you like it! Rock scape is not really done, we actually just threw everything in there randomly several days before moving in corals and big anemone rock. Maybe I’ll just leave it alone. I really wanted more surface area for coral mounting and May add more shelf rock. We’re thinking of making the left side for sps only so we can keep low - mid par corals to one side and high par corals on the other. Not sure if anyone else does that

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m glad you like it! Rock scape is not really done, we actually just threw everything in there randomly several days before moving in corals and big anemone rock. Maybe I’ll just leave it alone. I really wanted more surface area for coral mounting and May add more shelf rock. We’re thinking of making the left side for sps only so we can keep low - mid par corals to one side and high par corals on the other. Not sure if anyone else does that
Well it also depends on which fish you go with. Some are more free swimming and need open tank space while others like to dart in and out of caves so more rock structure is needed. I did set my tank up with one side high for SPS and the other side mid level for LPS.

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it also depends on which fish you go with. Some are more free swimming and need open tank space while others like to dart in and out of caves so more rock structure is needed. I did set my tank up with one side high for SPS and the other side mid level for LPS.
Oh good to hear someone has done the split tank thing. We do have small cave but the rocks looked a lot bigger in the tub they were curing in. I was shocked how small they actually were in the tank. We definitely want to add more but I’m just going to buy cured rock from my most trusted LFS

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh good to hear someone has done the split tank thing. We do have small cave but the rocks looked a lot bigger in the tub they were curing in. I was shocked how small they actually were in the tank. We definitely want to add more but I’m just going to buy cured rock from my most trusted LFS
If you get a few pieces of real ocean live rock you will Jumpstart your biodiversity and microfauna and probably have minimal ugly stages.

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got actual real live reef shelf rock from Florida (WWC) while we were there and added to tank yesterday. Also got the doors put on the DIY stand. Just need to finish putting facing wood and trim and stand will be completed! Changed my RS ReefMat roll for the first time since initial setup this morning and it went much more smoothly than I was anticipating . Happy Sunday and Happy Reefing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 18

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back