Outdoor Reef Pond

Miguel Rodriguez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,

I'm starting to become a pond builder and I would like to explore designing and building outdoor reef ponds. I must say that I've not kept a reef tank of my own however these ponds wouldn't be for me. It would be for those who have experience in taking care of reefs that want to expand. And I do understand that it's a highly skilled hobby that must be respected. However, I'd like to push the boundaries and to see what's possible.

What I would appreciate from those in the community is definitely tell me the problems with the idea and if they could maybe provide a solution for the said problem. Here are the problems that I foresee:
Problem: Environmental fluctuation
Possible Solution(s): Have a system that can predict and detect those environmental factors on the pond and make adjustments to the water quality once a slight change is detected. Have a large volume of water so when there is temperature swings, incoming rainwater, and critters defecating. The change is minor. Have it automated as much as possible so as soon as a problem is detected, the system reacts via filtration, dosing, flowrates, ect.

Problem: The pleasure of having a reef tank is that you can view it from the side.
Possible Solution(s): Be able to have a viewing window(s)

I'm sure that I'm missing a bunch. And also feel free to just call it crazy and impossible. Maybe I'm shooting for the stars.

Thanks for any and all of your guy's help!
Miguel

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting idea! I don't have a lot to add - just wanted to offer good luck for your adventure!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about keeping critters out....like fish eating birds, etc? I bet frogs or other water loving critters would try to get in and then die in the pond. Insects, leaves, pollen, etc, etc.

Fine mesh netting would take care of many of those things, but then maintaining the netting structure would be another task. IMO a greenhouse type structure would be better suited and controllable of all the climate tasks.

My dream tank would be multiple greenhouse tanks, freshwater and saltwater with a mangroves, jungle plants, etc, etc. that you could sit around, maybe a hot tub next to the reef tank.

OP
OP
Miguel Rodriguez

Miguel Rodriguez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about keeping critters out....like fish eating birds, etc? I bet frogs or other water loving critters would try to get in and then die in the pond. Insects, leaves, pollen, etc, etc.

Fine mesh netting would take care of many of those things, but then maintaining the netting structure would be another task. IMO a greenhouse type structure would be better suited and controllable of all the climate tasks.

My dream tank would be multiple greenhouse tanks, freshwater and saltwater with a mangroves, jungle plants, etc, etc. that you could sit around, maybe a hot tub next to the reef tank.
Yes, I'm assuming that's what it would take. I'm trying to find the mid-spot, where it isn't the ultra-wealthy would get to enjoy these ponds. You can build anything with a lot of money, but to find that sweet spot of being where average pond today that are build for $15,000. That would be my goal.

Could you explain further about an mangrove set up?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you build those ponds in places like Florida or Southern California forget about growing corals without adding artificial lights - which would be quite expensive.

For FOWLR systems it could be done in more moderate climate (would be tough to keep in colder climate).

Some challenges:

salinity fluctuations:
- evaporation - would require a massive Topoff tank to keep salinity stable
- rain dilution
- flow (especially if truly a reef - you’d basically have to have A LOT of wave makers) effectively to create artificial waves if a true reef
- heating and cooling
- filtration and skimming would have to be quite massive, especially mechanical filtration for impurities
- any use of chemicals around lawns etc would have a disproportionate impact on it

I have seen a few open partial setups, people keeping refugiums outdoors and there are quite a few coral farms in a greenhouse but I think for a true reef and even a Fowler you are going to face countless challenges and a pretty hefty price tag. This could maybe work for someone’s beach house if you can get fresh ocean water in and out - assuming it’s legal etc.

OP
OP
Miguel Rodriguez

Miguel Rodriguez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it would definitely need to be highly automated to maintain any environmental change. Do you know of anyone I could contact that has coral farms and outdoor refugium?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'm assuming that's what it would take. I'm trying to find the mid-spot, where it isn't the ultra-wealthy would get to enjoy these ponds. You can build anything with a lot of money, but to find that sweet spot of being where average pond today that are build for $15,000. That would be my goal.

Could you explain further about an mangrove set up?
My inspiration comes from the book Dynamic Aquaria, Building Living Ecosystems which is basically a textbook of ecosystem modelling, they have a chapter on a Florida Everglades Mesocosm.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a few companies that sell or used to sell corals grown in a greenhouse. Note the difference. I don’t know of anyone who’s done it in a pond outside some of the companies in the tropics.
Look up Julian Sprung’s outdoor mangrove or refugium - in one of his lecture he talks about something built around his house.

15k won’t get you far, most of us with even medium sized tanks spend that much on equipment...

OP
OP
Miguel Rodriguez

Miguel Rodriguez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My inspiration comes from the book Dynamic Aquaria, Building Living Ecosystems which is basically a textbook of ecosystem modelling, they have a chapter on a Florida Everglades Mesocosm.
Thanks! I have it on my wishlist! This is my goal too. Build an ecosystem that you can explore. Have you're known outdoor ocean.

OP
OP
Miguel Rodriguez

Miguel Rodriguez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a few companies that sell or used to sell corals grown in a greenhouse. Note the difference. I don’t know of anyone who’s done it in a pond outside some of the companies in the tropics.
Look up Julian Sprung’s outdoor mangrove or refugium - in one of his lecture he talks about something built around his house.

15k won’t get you far, most of us with even medium sized tanks spend that much on equipment...
What equipment would I need?

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you screened this in, build a canopy or make a ceiling somehow, this would never work. The algae would take over or the insects would. Rain water wouldn’t be bad if it came down slowly and not a total down poor. What about winter? What would you do for that?

take this idea and build it inside!
This would be awesome to have this in a room or even a basement!

OP
OP
Miguel Rodriguez

Miguel Rodriguez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you screened this in, build a canopy or make a ceiling somehow, this would never work. The algae would take over or the insects would. Rain water wouldn’t be bad if it came down slowly and not a total down poor. What about winter? What would you do for that?

take this idea and build it inside!
This would be awesome to have this in a room or even a basement!
Yes, it seems that it's an uphill battle to do it outside.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What equipment would I need?

I think you’d need to have almost everything custom built.

Look up custom aquarium builders. Don’t want to be too negative but I don’t see this working outdoors. Maybe in a greenhouse. Just imagine trying to keep a body of water at ~77 degrees when the outside temperatures hit almost anything below 50s...you’d have a hot spring in your backyard lol

OP
OP
Miguel Rodriguez

Miguel Rodriguez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’d need to have almost everything custom built.

Look up custom aquarium builders. Don’t want to be too negative but I don’t see this working outdoors. Maybe in a greenhouse. Just imagine trying to keep a body of water at ~77 degrees when the outside temperatures hit almost anything below 50s...you’d have a hot spring in your backyard lol
Oh i'm counting on this being custom built. Do you know of any good DIY filter plans? Is there a forum on R2R that teaches you how to build DIY Saltwater aquarium equipment?

OP
OP
Miguel Rodriguez

Miguel Rodriguez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In ponds there are these things called wetland filters, I wonder if I can do the same approach to mangrove trees. HMM something to think about. What are other natural saltwater filters? Saltwater bivalves, crustaceans, algae, seaweed, plankton, sea purslane, and/or saltwort?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back