Large indoor pond

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just upgraded to a Red Sea 3XL 900 G2+, and I realized that it’s not gonna be big enough for my hi-fin snapper long term…

I have room in my basement for any size pool pond, I was thinking something around 8-10’ diameter , 3’ high, so around 1k gallons.

1. Is there really any fish that I can’t put in this pond? Excluding giants like a bumblebee grouper, and emperor snapper?

2. For filtration, what do you recommend?
I was thinking two simplicity 800 DC skimmers, but I’m not sure if that will be enough.

3. For heaters, I was thinking 5-6 1300 W heaters.

4. I was hoping I could get away with a cheap Amazon “swimming pool” or tractor supply has a pond that’s an 8’ circle, but only 2’ tall.

5. during the winter, it gets to 55 Fahrenheit down there, would that outweigh the heaters?

6. The humidity level already is between 40%-45% throughout the year. I have multiple dehumidifiers running in there. The pond would be in the same 30’ by 15’ room.
How big of an issue is this?
Stopping mold from growing is a priority.

7. How much of an increase should I expect from my electricity bill?

8. For lights, I’m not gonna do coral in this, would LED strips off of Amazon work?

9. And lastly, this part of my basement isn’t finished, so it’s concrete floor. I shouldn’t have any problems with the weight of the pond right? There’s nothing below it, concrete wouldn’t crack?

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just upgraded to a Red Sea 3XL 900 G2+, and I realized that it’s not gonna be big enough for my hi-fin snapper long term…

I have room in my basement for any size pool pond, I was thinking something around 8-10’ diameter , 3’ high, so around 1k gallons.

1. Is there really any fish that I can’t put in this pond? Excluding giants like a bumblebee grouper, and emperor snapper?

2. For filtration, what do you recommend?
I was thinking two simplicity 800 DC skimmers, but I’m not sure if that will be enough.

3. For heaters, I was thinking 5-6 1300 W heaters.

4. I was hoping I could get away with a cheap Amazon “swimming pool” or tractor supply has a pond that’s an 8’ circle, but only 2’ tall.

5. during the winter, it gets to 55 Fahrenheit down there, would that outweigh the heaters?

6. The humidity level already is between 40%-45% throughout the year. I have multiple dehumidifiers running in there. The pond would be in the same 30’ by 15’ room.
How big of an issue is this?
Stopping mold from growing is a priority.

7. How much of an increase should I expect from my electricity bill?

8. For lights, I’m not gonna do coral in this, would LED strips off of Amazon work?

9. And lastly, this part of my basement isn’t finished, so it’s concrete floor. I shouldn’t have any problems with the weight of the pond right? There’s nothing below it, concrete wouldn’t crack?
Try Anemones, Bubble Tip, Black Widow, Japanese.

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this before, in my garage. Some tips:

1. Don't use a cheap inflatable pool or similar. Get a fiberglass aquaculture tank if at all possible. I ended up driving ~600 miles in a rented truck to get one and boy did that suck, but I'm glad I did.
  2. There's usually commercial grade skimmers and equipment floating around the second hand market if you know where to ask. Put the word around.
  3. You need less heat than you think. I think I only used about 1800w and it held through the winters no problem (I had 2 Mag 18 pumps heating the water as well, though).
  4. Humidity is a big problem, make sure you are totally prepared. Even though mine was managed, a lot of my tools in the garage started developing surface rust. I covered the tank in the winter.
  5. Use big internal pumps to keep detritus off the bottom. I was changing filter socks every day that were absolutely filthy (I fed about 1lb of food/day), but filth mostly stayed out of the tank. Don't even think about trying to keep sand.
  6. I think the average bill for the tank was $200-$300, years ago. One winter, we had a real cold spell and I remember paying an $800 electric bill, though.
  7. Run your water line at least 8" below the lip to ward off jumpers. Even then, I'm sure fish like wrasses could vault themselves onto your floor.
  8. Use the absolute minimum amount of lighting that you are happy with. I remember sometimes leaving the garage door open in the summer and letting natural sunlight hit the tank. Boom, algae city.

OP
OP
F

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this before, in my garage. Some tips:

1. Don't use a cheap inflatable pool or similar. Get a fiberglass aquaculture tank if at all possible. I ended up driving ~600 miles in a rented truck to get one and boy did that suck, but I'm glad I did.
  2. There's usually commercial grade skimmers and equipment floating around the second hand market if you know where to ask. Put the word around.
  3. You need less heat than you think. I think I only used about 1800w and it held through the winters no problem (I had 2 Mag 18 pumps heating the water as well, though).
  4. Humidity is a big problem, make sure you are totally prepared. Even though mine was managed, a lot of my tools in the garage started developing surface rust. I covered the tank in the winter.
  5. Use big internal pumps to keep detritus off the bottom. I was changing filter socks every day that were absolutely filthy (I fed about 1lb of food/day), but filth mostly stayed out of the tank. Don't even think about trying to keep sand.
  6. I think the average bill for the tank was $200-$300, years ago. One winter, we had a real cold spell and I remember paying an $800 electric bill, though.
  7. Run your water line at least 8" below the lip to ward off jumpers. Even then, I'm sure fish like wrasses could vault themselves onto your floor.
  8. Use the absolute minimum amount of lighting that you are happy with. I remember sometimes leaving the garage door open in the summer and letting natural sunlight hit the tank. Boom, algae city.

There’s the link for one of the ones I was considering, it’s not inflatable, but still cheap. Is this a hard no?

Also, there’s one at tractor supply that’s an 8’ circle, same material as the Rubbermaid 300 gallon. Would this be better?

OP
OP
F

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
isn't displaying (the site no longer seems to display Amazon links properly).

Bestway Steel Pro MAX 14' x 33" Round Above Ground Pool Set | Includes 530gal Filter Pump​

That’s the description for the pond, it looks similar to the one that the YouTuber Nick Bingo used for a while

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• Get a fiberglass aquaculture tank.jpg
    Get a fiberglass aquaculture tank.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 24

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make a plywood tank with a glass front panel, seal it with marine epoxy and polyeurathane also put fiberglass and thickened epoxy in the seams and youll be set. I would design it with a subfloor for the bottom and back and two sheets of half inch plywood - the top one slightly shorter then the bottom one on the bottom piece so that you have a lip to put the glass into.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back