Outside air for skimmer

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fishfinder
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 21, 2017
Messages
3,925
Reaction score
4,544
Location
Melbourne, Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yesterday I hooked up a line to the outside for my skimmer to pull from. My ph boost was impressive. Did exactly what I wanted. But what I didn’t expect was my temp to rise so much. My tank was 1.5 degrees hotter running the outside air. I have a 210 gal tank, about 240 total volume. That’s crazy!
IMG_3387.png
 
makes sense if you're drawing in a high volume of air at a different ambient temperature. You could just offset though with a fan which should be able to bring it down. With you peaking near 80 anyway, it might be a good idea either way tbh.
 
I just thought inside temp would easily offset that and it wouldn’t be noticeable
 
Very interesting. Nvr consider about the hot air but it makes 100% sense. Thanks for sharing.
 
I just thought inside temp would easily offset that and it wouldn’t be noticeable

The air coming in is contacting the water better than is the air on the tank top, or else it would not result in a significant pH boost. :)
 
Makes sense I guess. I just thought the amount of air required to raise the temp of that much water would be significant
 
Maybe you can get a tax write off for that skimmer - you got yourself an efficient heat exchanger 😆
 
A lot lol. At night it increased by .2ph and during the day it increased by .1 so it also narrowed my swing by .1 ph.


Before I was getting a low of 7.8 now I have a low of 8.0.

But my average temp went up 1.5 degrees
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new