outside air to skimmer - sudden drop in ph

rck329

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever had a sudden ph drop with running outside air to their skimmer?

Last night at 3am, my ph took a detour down sharply. It had been running very steady up to that point with minimal diurnal swings.

Alk is a steady 7.6-7.8

Nothing seems to be malfunctioning - kalk dosing on a pump, no ATO, skimmer running, powerhead running.

Initially I thought the ph probe was malfunctioning, but I checked with another calibrated probe and it's reading the same.

Something in the outside air???

ph drop-12JAN2018.jpeg

OP
OP
rck329

rck329

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems unlikely to be something from outside unless some exhaust pipe is near your inlet. Gas dryer? Car? Furnace?

hmmm, nothing near the inlet. Can't think of a CO2 source that would be nearby.

The tank is in my basement and my ph was running lower than I wanted so I ran a 2" PVC pipe through the end joist and outside. (it was a 10 ft run and I want to use it for another tank hence the large size - kind of like a plenum) I put a screen over the end to keep critters out. It's about 12" above grade on the outside.

It's almost like my skimmer shut off.

As for EMI, LED's were off so ballast shouldn't have been causing it... I'll have to snoop around a little.

Thanks Randy!

OP
OP
rck329

rck329

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to normal and no problems. Weird. Maybe something was blocking it temporarily. Or a deer was breathing into it for 4 hours. o_O

ph-drop and recovery.jpeg

Insane320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question does it matter if we get the air from the outside or can we get from the attic???? @randyholmsfarly

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question does it matter if we get the air from the outside or can we get from the attic???? @randyholmsfarly
I use the crawl space under the house and it seems to work. If the attic is vented to outside (which most are) it should be fine. You are trying to avoid the recirculated CO2 from animal respiration in a tightly insulated house.

Insane320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the crawl space under the house and it seems to work. If the attic is vented to outside (which most are) it should be fine. You are trying to avoid the recirculated CO2 from animal respiration in a tightly insulated house.
Thanks, PedroYoung it is a lot easier to pull from the attic, rather than the outside, but I wanted to make sure I get the full benefit.:)

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw about 0.2 pH shift after running airline into the crawlspace from 7.9/8 range to 8.1/8.2 range.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It may depend on where the attic air mostly comes from. If it drifts up to the attic from the home air, it may still have elevated CO2.

If it is flushing with outside air through vents and such, then it is fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back