Over filtration?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SaltyOG
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SaltyOG

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 18, 2016
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im firing up a 29 gallon tank. I have a BEAST of a Pisces wet/dry I want to use on the 29 gallon, which will be a reef tank.


My question is can you over do the size of the filtration system on your tank? Any info/ idea's would be great and I'll keep updating.

Fish on and thanks.
 
I suppose you can, but you could also run its on a timer if you think it is to big. Run during the day and shut down at night, or the opposite.
 
I was considering it. The overflow box is like a gallon itself the wet dry is like 15 lol I'm just excited to start up again. It's been 5 years since a tank was last setup in my place.
 
Guess is also depends on the end goal of the system. ULNS and I don't think you can over filter. Softy tank and you probably can.
 
No, you can't over-filter. Your large system will add more volume, which is good. You can, however, over-skim, or more to the point, you can get a skimmer that is too big. Too large a skimmer makes the skimmer not work very well since it is usually feast or famine for it. Skimmers should be sized to your bio-load but for a filter the sky is the limit.
 
Wet/Dry will not cause you to over filter your system, in the long run, what you'll end up with is a Nitrate headache though.
 
I believe it is possible to over filter. I would not use a wet/dry on a reef as the rock an sand should be enough for biological filtration. If you want to use a filter sock periodically that will be okay but I can see the wet/dry becoming a Nitrate factory that will do more harm than good. I would still use the sump for water volume as more water in the system is always a benefit.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.3%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new