Overcomplicating simple things...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with most things in this hobby the word "acclimate" seems to get overcomplicated.

Maybe I'm alone on this but I see "acclimatization" all the time and it's very frustrating because "acclimation" is the real word and I have no idea why we keep making up variations of the word. I swear I keep hearing and seeing "acclimatizated" where "acclimated" is supposed to be. And what's worse!! "Aclimatize" used as a verb!? What? You don't acclimatize a fish. You acclimate a fish.

OK sorry for the soap box pet peave rant.

Tune in next week for my gripes on the subject of "my DT/sump overflows, so I must add valves and switches and nonsense"

What grinds your gears?

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Is my [egg-laying fish] pregnant???"

No, your fish is not pregnant. It is not physically possible for it to become pregnant. It will never give birth to live fry.

But it might be a female carrying some eggs and ready to mate.

What really kills me is this information is ridiculously easy to look up and yet people still persist in asking on forums if egg-layers are pregnant. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with most things in this hobby the word "acclimate" seems to get overcomplicated.

Maybe I'm alone on this but I see "acclimatization" all the time and it's very frustrating because "acclimation" is the real word and I have no idea why we keep making up variations of the word. I swear I keep hearing and seeing "acclimatizated" where "acclimated" is supposed to be. And what's worse!! "Aclimatize" used as a verb!? What? You don't acclimatize a fish. You acclimate a fish.

OK sorry for the soap box pet peave rant.

Tune in next week for my gripes on the subject of "my DT/sump overflows, so I must add valves and switches and nonsense"

What grinds your gears?

I used Ed verbally and literally too much.
Ed, Edd, and Eddie appear among annoyed literary writers and poets.
Likewise, Ying begins to sing whenever this Oriental begins writing annoying words criticizing and judging any object of my wording.
Let alone anybody using therefore! Once observed a Judge he doubled a defendant's sentence after he mistakenly used it.
& let's not involve Andy!
:smiling-face-with-halo:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I was electrocuted!"

"No.. No you were most certainly not electrocuted. You are still alive"

One of my peeves is that when words are misused so often that the arbiters of language bend the knee and go with the flow.

Most dictionaries now list being "shocked" as an alternate definition of electrocution.

I will spare you from the rest of my growing list of such words.

On another subject, the dropping of "to be" from countless (mostly spoken, but sometimes written) phrases and mixing tenses in a single phrase.

"The office needs cleaned" - um "The office needs TO BE cleaned" or the awkward "The office needs cleaning". I hear a variation of this 50 times a day.

"The dogs need fed"
"The bed needs made"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Begs the question, how can we get acclimated to climate change as evolution progresses?

Reminds me of military lingo and certain training in which involves evolution.
Point of personal interest:
Observed a training exercise during which men went from cold to warm water.
Many passed out underwater and were resuscitated while commanded, "come back to the light."
"How can we get acclimated?"
Suppose ability needs be addressed?
Another point of interest of mine of recent involves consciousness or various levels of consciousness.
For example, peripheral vision often in animals is observed more and/or most sensitive to help avoid danger thereby capturing/redirecting consciousness or focus of animals. Operating at various levels of consciousness I personally coined a state or level of consciousness called, "the peripheral of consciousness."
"Change," requires discernment not all change is acceptable, some is unavoidable, and some should be rejected, abolished or IMO avoided.
Hope you do not mind me sharing this with you KrisReef (your post was intriguing.)
Enjoy

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On another subject, the dropping of "to be" from countless (mostly spoken, but sometimes written) and mixing tenses in a single phrase.

He who causes to become or I am that I am.
What when a language lacks a word for proper translation or translating language which lacked punctuation?
Punctuation can change it from what the Author intended to convey for what translators or readers wanted to be read or read (exegesis vs eisegesis).
For example, Idioms make no sense from Torah/Hebrew to English.
Direct/Formal translation vs Dynamic/Functional Equivalence (either way an opinion of individual or groups was made.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tlledsmar

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in Merrie England it's 'acclimatisation', and acclimation isn't a real word.

But speaking of making words more complicated, I've often wondered why, when an American house is burgled (i.e. invaded by a burglar), it is said to have been 'burglarized'. Okay, okay - I'm off topic again.
No yeah that's wrong, it's still BURGLED but the media always uses the bigger made up word to sound "smart"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tlledsmar

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The office needs cleaned" - um "The office needs TO BE cleaned" or the awkward "The office needs cleaning". I hear a variation of this 50 times a day.

"The dogs need fed"
"The bed needs made"
I divorced a woman over this. Woman, the sentence is incomplete and I will not perform the task that you are trying to get me to do until you ask in proper English! (It's not like she was a foreign language speaker or anything, English was the first and only language)

Upvote 0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminds me of military lingo and certain training in which involves evolution.
Point of personal interest:
Observed a training exercise during which men went from cold to warm water.
Many passed out underwater and were resuscitated while commanded, "come back to the light."
"How can we get acclimated?"
Suppose ability needs be addressed?
Another point of interest of mine of recent involves consciousness or various levels of consciousness.
For example, peripheral vision often in animals is observed more and/or most sensitive to help avoid danger thereby capturing/redirecting consciousness or focus of animals. Operating at various levels of consciousness I personally coined a state or level of consciousness called, "the peripheral of consciousness."
"Change," requires discernment not all change is acceptable, some is unavoidable, and some should be rejected, abolished or IMO avoided.
Hope you do not mind me sharing this with you KrisReef (your post was intriguing.)
Enjoy
It was scary at first.
It was a faraway view quite different from the typical chatter;
"What are your parameters?"
I reread it just now and I'm impressed, humbled.
I've got to go feed the fishes. Have a great day.

Upvote 0

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we're currently off topic, the one abuse of the English language that makes my widdle boil is the use of the word 'like'. I hear all the time things such as "I'm like, get lost!" which, as far as I can tell, means either I said "get lost" or I thought "get lost" - two very different things. I accept language evolves, usually for positive reasons. But this? It should be a hanging offence.

Upvote 0

AtlantiCat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm reading some of the posts on this thread and thinking how Shakespeare invented or popularized quite a number of words and phrases that are still in use today. Now I'm wondering if the Elizabethans and Jacobeans of the time got together in the pubs and complained about all these newfangled language changes and demanded people speak proper English. :winking-face-with-tongue::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Upvote 0

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm reading some of the posts on this thread and thinking how Shakespeare invented or popularized quite a number of words and phrases that are still in use today. Now I'm wondering if the Elizabethans and Jacobeans of the time got together in the pubs and complained about all these newfangled language changes and demanded people speak proper English. :winking-face-with-tongue::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Juliet: I'm like, Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?

Nah, doesn't work.

Upvote 0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I know is if I see "queue" spelled as "cue" one more time....
mark selby pool GIF

The short way saves valuable key strokes.
Trick Shot Wrestling GIF by DARK SIDE OF THE RING

Upvote 0

AtlantiCat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Juliet: I'm like, Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?

Nah, doesn't work.
Conversely, who says "wherefore art thou" in 2023? Also, one uses "I'm like" to describe events to another, not to address another person. For all that it's non-standard, it still has its own usage rules.

Modern Juliet would likely say, "Hey Romeo, where are you?" Or "Yo! Romeo! Where you be?" :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Language evolves. You can fight it and curse the darkness, or you can just shrug it off and go with the flow. :)

Personally, I'm a certified "When in Rome" type. :cool:

Upvote 0

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we're currently off topic, the one abuse of the English language that makes my widdle boil is the use of the word 'like'. I hear all the time things such as "I'm like, get lost!" which, as far as I can tell, means either I said "get lost" or I thought "get lost" - two very different things. I accept language evolves, usually for positive reasons. But this? It should be a hanging offence.

Was he informed that this was over his head? Not many a Western offense result in capital punishment without criminal intent.

It was scary at first.
It was a faraway view quite different from the typical chatter;
"What are your parameters?"
I reread it just now and I'm impressed, humbled.
I've got to go feed the fishes. Have a great day.

Sluggards desire that to explain it!
Really my friend it should work for you (subordinate clause).
Do not be like that my friend or absorbed by surrounding nations or cultures:

1) do not lie
2) do not slander
3) do not bear false witness
4) do not gossip
5) do not blaspheme

If these things appear negative there's always an option of exercising your first amendments.
Ponder this, some attempt to nail it down obviously nailers and hangers exists.
But there's neither left or right in or outside thereof omnipresence.
Perhaps not everybody was predestined or blessed in it?
Get off it! He ask'd rhetorical questions.
This I know that this has done.

Enough said,
Shalom

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Conversely, who says "wherefore art thou" in 2023? Also, one uses "I'm like" to describe events to another, not to address another person. For all that it's non-standard, it still has its own usage rules.

Modern Juliet would likely say, "Hey Romeo, where are you?" Or "Yo! Romeo! Where you be?" :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Language evolves. You can fight it and curse the darkness, or you can just shrug it off and go with the flow. :)

Personally, I'm a certified "When in Rome" type. :cool:

It cannot be unseen once seen.
What is it?

When in Rome where do you recommend?
Rooftops? Was not a great fiddler there once?
Perhaps too many questions and no credible sources.
From here there is no truth nobody was held accountable.
Bring that back!
So they say... .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 25 16.3%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 63 41.2%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back